Rattling/tinny sound from under the car

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

fruktstav
480 Newbie

Rattling/tinny sound from under the car

Post by fruktstav » Thu May 23, 2024 4:21 pm

Hello, 480 friends! I have a quite annoying rattling/tinny sound coming from my car's underside. It is completely fine when idling, but as soon as I lift the clutch and give some gas it sounds like somebody is shaking a can full of pebbles or something. It usually happens when a lot of power is being transmitted to the wheels, so when cruising or idling it is completely gone. The rattling is quite high pitched, and I believe something is loose and causing vibrations.

Maybe some of you car geniuses can help me get some tips on what to check before committing and renting a car lift to check it out.

Some of my ideas of what it could be:
  • Loose heatshield
  • Loose exhaust (dried up rubber fittings?)
  • Just some loose bolts
Here is an audio recording that may help you help me: https://voca.ro/1d9V2jHX2tJb

Cheers, lads and lasses!

Optimistic
Started learning about 480

Re: Rattling/tinny sound from under the car

Post by Optimistic » Thu May 23, 2024 4:55 pm

I wouldn't exactly know where that sound would be coming from, but like you said it sounds metal-is.
I am unsure if the ES has a heat shield like the turbo at the back of the engine that would be my first guess, after that i would check the heat shields above the exhaust. Also is the sound happening at any speed?
And for the checks you don't need a car lift. you can park one side of the car on a curb and crawl under if you don't have/trust a jack.
92' TT-T

fruktstav
480 Newbie

Re: Rattling/tinny sound from under the car

Post by fruktstav » Thu May 23, 2024 9:28 pm

Yeah I'll check the heatshield at the back of the engine too, thanks!

It happens at all speeds, yeah.

Also that curb-jack idea is clever, never though of that haha!