Sunroofs!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Themasteryeti
Knows where Volvo is from

Sunroofs!

Post by Themasteryeti » Sat May 11, 2024 2:52 pm

I was talking to a nice chap on one of the Facebook pages about my sunroof and wondered if anyone else has the same style mine has? Its a manual pop up one with two blinds built in! Looks to be quite a bit smaller than the electric one, Jeff has told me that this was a dealer option back in the day
Every other 480 I've seen pictures of have the electric so I was wondering if mines a bit of a rarity? :o

1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

royhedger

Re: Sunroofs!

Post by royhedger » Sat May 11, 2024 7:22 pm

Wow, it looks like it opens a fair way.

I have the factory one and if opened all the way (about half of your opening by the looks of it) it's really noisy. Does yours get noisy while driving?

I guess you can unclip the mechanism and remove the glass completely?

I was hoping that the Volvo factory sunroofs were slide and tilt, but unfortunately they just appear to be tilt ones ☹️.
I wasted about 1/2 HR fiddling before I realised this 😀
White 1990 480 Turbo Auto
Caspian Blue 2015 V70 D5 SE Lux

Previously G reg 480 ES Black and D reg 480 ES in Silver

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:10 pm

Our very first 480 (E reg) had amanual sun roof, but I don't think the handle looked like that, AND you could fully remove it without resorting to any tools (I think I di once but so ruddy noisy, it went straight back in)

Personally I'd rather a sun (moon) roof as the car seemed 'brighter' / 'airier' and less to go wrong?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Sun May 12, 2024 7:13 am

royhedger wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:22 pm
Wow, it looks like it opens a fair way.

I have the factory one and if opened all the way (about half of your opening by the looks of it) it's really noisy. Does yours get noisy while driving?

I guess you can unclip the mechanism and remove the glass completely?

I was hoping that the Volvo factory sunroofs were slide and tilt, but unfortunately they just appear to be tilt ones ☹️.
I wasted about 1/2 HR fiddling before I realised this 😀
I got comments saying mine opens alot more than normal ones!
It does tend to rattle about when it's up as the hinges need a bit of play in them to open and close it!
There's little plastic covers over the hinges but I imagine if they're prized off it it looks to just be screwed on so it could be taken out if you'd wanna risk breaking the covers :o

& I thought the factory ones were slide and tilt! Guessing it was just an option apon purchase then :o
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Sun May 12, 2024 7:14 am

Alan 480 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 9:10 pm
Our very first 480 (E reg) had amanual sun roof, but I don't think the handle looked like that, AND you could fully remove it without resorting to any tools (I think I di once but so ruddy noisy, it went straight back in)

Personally I'd rather a sun (moon) roof as the car seemed 'brighter' / 'airier' and less to go wrong?
You'd definitely need a screwdriver at least to take mine out!

& IDK about the moon roofs but mine is like tinted so it's not as bright but I do have to say I head a lot of problems about the moon roofs not working properly where as it's hard to bugger up a manual one 😂
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

WillC9303
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WillC9303 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:35 pm

Themasteryeti wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 7:14 am
IDK about the moon roofs but mine is like tinted so it's not as bright but I do have to say I head a lot of problems about the moon roofs not working properly where as it's hard to bugger up a manual one 😂
The moonroofs also came tinted from the factory, though is more of a silvery(?) tint than a traditional darkened one. Still has the same effect regardless.

The moonroofs aren’t actually that bad in comparison to some other 480 electrical parts. Occasionally there is a plastic arm that can snap (3d printed repros are available) and sometimes the drainage channels can clog up if not cleared regularly.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:53 pm

WillC9303 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 3:35 pm
Occasionally there is a plastic arm that can snap (3d printed repros are available) and sometimes the drainage channels can clog up if not cleared regularly.
I have a brand new, unused one if required for a small fee :rofl:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Mon May 13, 2024 2:45 pm

Sunroofs "back in the day" were seen as quite a novel and luxury item.

Many are non-factory from a huge range of brands... Webasto... Britax.. etc.

Accessory shops, dealers and bodyshops considered them an ideal up-sell back in the day.

When I was a child a large branch fell on the roof of our family 240 estate. The bodyshop, upon replacing the roof skin, sold Dad a sunroof as part of the repairs. That was quite common. It was removable too, although had no wind deflector so was essentially useless removed as it boomed like hell at speed!

Yours has an impressive rake looking at your show entry pic!

The idea of taking a jigsaw to a typical modern day car (most on PCP) seems unthinkable now!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars