Performance Air Filter for Turbo - which one?

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

What filter do I run?

Standard (paper filter volvo/halford etc)
24%
Uprated panel filter (i.e. cotten/foam panel)
19%
Drilled air box + Uprated panel filter (power drill air box bottom)
14%
Open cone filter (i.e. K+N 57i)
29%
Enclosed performance filter (i.e. BMC, viper)
14%

Total votes: 21

robin_xr4i
480 Expert

Performance Air Filter for Turbo - which one?

Post by robin_xr4i » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:52 am

I want to uprate my induction system on my turbo.

what does everyone have, what do you recommend and more importantly does not work?
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/robin_xr4i/newsign.jpg[/img]

My old Volvo 480 // Type: Turbo // Year: 1992 // Colour: 305 - Black Metallic // Engine: B18FT // Mods: Rich Mod, Recirculating Piston Dump Valve, Pi Lowering Springs, Induction Kit

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:40 am

Open cone filter (i.e. K+N 57i)
But...... Only if ducted to the outside cold world and not sucking up HOT air inside the engine bay!

Otherwise standard airbox/filter with ducting to the outside world

rich was 100mm wide ducting on his 480. I have 50mm duction with K&N
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

crispy-d
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by crispy-d » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:47 pm

This is what I had for a while, just for the sound. But having tried several different methods, and being told that it looked damn stupid having a spaceship on the end of my intake, I took it off, to find that it was actually faster with the standard box.

I think with the 480 it might be easier to access the front grille, so you could stick the filter right behind the grille, then connect that via a pipe to the MAF meter. That was Rich's recommendations, if you want that extra sound.

Volvo 340 GL 1.7 :) - Nice (RWD missed) - sold
Volvo 460 SI Turbo ('Rich Mod' / 2.5" Longlife SS exhaust / 710N CBV / Cold Air Intake) - (Turbo missed) - sold
Volvo S90 3.0 CD 24v (RWD back again! LOVING the straight six :) ) - is 16mpg that bad...? - sold
BMW E34 540i 6-speed Manual V8 :) - sold
BMW E39 M5
Land Rover 110 V8

Williewammes
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Williewammes » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:58 am

Question is, when you stick the filter right behind the bumper, does it still bring more power?

Looks to me that the air has to go quite a long road before entering the turbo.

What are your findings?
Greets,

Williewammes

Volvo 480 turbo Paris bleu metallic 1992.
Volvo 480 turbo Grey metallic 1987

Check: www.wdesignonline.tk

robin_xr4i
480 Expert

Post by robin_xr4i » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:31 pm

Williewammes wrote:Question is, when you stick the filter right behind the bumper, does it still bring more power?

Looks to me that the air has to go quite a long road before entering the turbo.

What are your findings?
The distance is not the issue, its about scooping as much undisturbed cool air as possible. Theoretically cooler air = more power

My old Volvo 480 // Type: Turbo // Year: 1992 // Colour: 305 - Black Metallic // Engine: B18FT // Mods: Rich Mod, Recirculating Piston Dump Valve, Pi Lowering Springs, Induction Kit

Clio Steve
Started learning about 480

Post by Clio Steve » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:38 am

surely on a turbo it won't matter if its an open cone type, as the charged air goes through that huge volvo intercooler anyway.

I can understand it on N/A applications, where temps can really make a difference, but can't see it making a huge difference on a turbo.

crispy-d

Post by crispy-d » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:54 pm

Makes a massive difference on the turbo. Even driving the car on a colder day makes a difference to its performance. Because the turbo heats up the intake air by a certain factor, (a lot if you're running more than standard boost) then the increase in charged-air temperature will be more when the intake temperature is itself warmer, if that makes any sense.

Basically, despite the intercooler, the engine runs far better with cooler air. Apparently the best bet is to lead a pipe from the intake to the front, and whack a large cone filter on the end. It had marginal increases over the standard box, but is only really worth all the effort for the noise! The setup I had worked to a certain extent, but was still worse than standard, and looked crap too! If you can do it properly, so that it cannot suck up warm air, then you're onto a winner! :)
Volvo 460 SI Turbo ('Rich Mod' / 2.5" Longlife SS exhaust / 710N CBV / Cold Air Intake) - (Turbo missed) - sold
Volvo S90 3.0 CD 24v (RWD back again! LOVING the straight six :) ) - is 16mpg that bad...? - sold
BMW E39 M5
Land Rover 110 V8

Murf

Post by Murf » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:10 pm

and being told that it looked damn stupid having a spaceship on the end of my intake
looks like you got it for xmas but were in such a rush to fit it you forgot to unwrap it! :lol:

here was my effort before i learned about proper heat shielding and power losses by sucking in hot air :?

Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:31 pm

I tried on my 440. I had an open cone set up but took out all the Volvo airbox and ran some ducting to the filter. It made a little difference but not great.

This time i'm keeping the Volvo 'box, putting in a nice Pipercross panel filter. I've already modified the feed to run into the bottom of the front bumper. In all honesty, i can't say i've noticed that much difference-maybe 'cos i'm still running a paper filter? :dunno:

This is it with the nosecone off:

And this is what it looks like just poking out on the right side of the grill...
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:02 pm

I think as long as your paper filter is in good order you're fine. I tried removing my filter altogether and went for a short run. Apart from a stupid asthmatic noise i couldn't tell any difference in performance whatsoever.

I'd be *shocked* if it was even a quantifayable difference.

Like was said above, if the gnoerrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise is your thing, thats probably the only reason to go to all his trouble. Especially when using that space tube stuff...i daren't think what the reynolds number is on that.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

robin_xr4i
480 Expert

Post by robin_xr4i » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:27 am

crispy-d wrote:Even driving the car on a colder day makes a difference to its performance.
Hell yes! cool damp days the car feel 10-20 bhp stronger, hot dry days and the car feel like a bag of shit. Me thinks water injection would be a god idea?

crispy-d

Post by crispy-d » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:21 pm

Hell yes! cool damp days the car feel 10-20 bhp stronger, hot dry days and the car feel like a bag of shit. Me thinks water injection would be a god idea?
Haha! Yes, well, I have found that too. Don't know anything about water injection, may be it would be a good idea. Sounds a little crazy though, spraying water into the intake, if that is actually what it is?!
Especially when using that space tube stuff...i daren't think what the reynolds number is on that.
No, well it's obviously not going to be great, but I didn't think that would make much of a difference. I thought it was good to have some kind of disturbance (to a certain extent) for more efficient combustion, but may be it does hinder performance a little. What about getting an extension of the standard Volvo piping, if anyone knows where to get it. The only thing is, that's black rubber, and I would have thought that it would in fact conduct a little heat if anything. Surely using metallic, or at least shiny (again, to a certain extent!!) pipes would be better? Or would it not make much difference?

@ Dan the 480 Man, that pipe you have looks a perfect fit for the job. That's not the stuff that costs absolutely loads is it? I think I've seen stuff like it on ebay.
BMW E39 M5
Land Rover 110 V8

Williewammes
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Williewammes » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi,

Next week I will be trying to create a new top cover for my airbox with an integrated direct air filter. This way the only air entering the filter will be the air from beneath the bumper, assuming this air is cold.

A soon as I'm finished I will let you know what difference it makes.

If not making any difference, at least the sound should be better :D
Greets,

Williewammes

Volvo 480 turbo Paris bleu metallic 1992.
Volvo 480 turbo Grey metallic 1987

Check: www.wdesignonline.tk

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:34 pm

No, well it's obviously not going to be great, but I didn't think that would make much of a difference. I thought it was good to have some kind of disturbance (to a certain extent) for more efficient combustion, but may be it does hinder performance a little. What about getting an extension of the standard Volvo piping, if anyone knows where to get it. The only thing is, that's black rubber, and I would have thought that it would in fact conduct a little heat if anything. Surely using metallic, or at least shiny (again, to a certain extent!!) pipes would be better? Or would it not make much difference?
Lol, but the turbulence made by the turbocharger should be ample for this don't you think?

I just don't see the reason really to change the standard system, apart from a better element perhaps...unless for the sound.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:25 pm

wouldnt the best thing to do actually be to have some kind of scoop affair on the end of these inlet pipes?
that way, when youre going faster, the air is forced in faster....sort of like ram scoop......
so whack a fecking big funnel on the end of those pipes.....

;)
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:38 am

robkendall wrote:wouldnt the best thing to do actually be to have some kind of scoop affair on the end of these inlet pipes?
that way, when youre going faster, the air is forced in faster....sort of like ram scoop......

;)
rob
My (sometimes fleeting) understanding of aerodynamics suggests this should be of very little use. Far from pushing air in, i think its more likely air would be pulled outwards...depending on placement.

Ever noticed its hard to breath when the wind is blowing in your face?

Certainly i've known someone cut a pipe into their bumper and notice a loss of top end.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

Philip_480_Turbo
480 Newbie

Post by Philip_480_Turbo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

[quote="

This time i'm keeping the Volvo 'box, putting in a nice Pipercross panel filter. I've already modified the feed to run into the bottom of the front bumper. In all honesty, i can't say i've noticed that much difference-maybe 'cos i'm still running a paper filter? :dunno:[/quote]

It definetly matters! When you have a cold air intake and a paper filter, stay out of the rain! As soon as the filter gets wet, it will allow much less air trough the filter. Cotton filters like the k&n ones however, can get wet without letting less air trough, and they will last longer.

Philip
Volvo 480 ES 1.7i '88 may it rest in peace

Volvo 480 Turbo Smoke Silver '89 a.k.a. fast as lightning ,-)

Volvo 480 Turbo Hausserkit Red '88

reynolds_p1
480 Rookie

Post by reynolds_p1 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:42 pm

JohnTurbo wrote:Especially when using that space tube stuff...i daren't think what the reynolds number is on that.
WOW! whats a Reynolds number? i have a feeling this is something i should know!! haha!

:D
No longer in a 480!

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:20 pm

JohnTurbo wrote:
robkendall wrote:wouldnt the best thing to do actually be to have some kind of scoop affair on the end of these inlet pipes?

;)
rob
My (sometimes fleeting) understanding of aerodynamics suggests this should be of very little use. Far from pushing air in, i think its more likely air would be pulled outwards...depending on placement.

Ever noticed its hard to breath when the wind is blowing in your face?

Certainly i've known someone cut a pipe into their bumper and notice a loss of top end.

partially tounge in cheek dude

rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]