R5 Vs Rich Mod

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

R5_B18FT
480 Newbie

R5 Vs Rich Mod

Post by R5_B18FT » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:28 pm

Topic Split - volvo-bigbrother
Last edited by R5_B18FT on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:54 pm

You wanna tell the forum member the reasons for not getting a rich mod other then it can take a while?
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

R5_B18FT
480 Newbie

Post by R5_B18FT » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:45 pm

Last edited by R5_B18FT on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:13 pm

Lol...i generally stay out of these chip debates, and welcome anybody who has a go at sorting ecus, but if you think rich is bashing out chips in his garage you're well off the mark!

He wasn't always so busy....i know at the very least massive amounts of dyno time and more sensors than you can shake a stick at went into it.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

aibast
480 Connoisseur

Post by aibast » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:44 am

it looks like a classic DIY or Dealer job debate LOL . Everyone better know him/her self what they do... I have a rich mod. Did wait for it and cry like a baby and whined about it taking so long - sorry for that. Cos when you hook it to your car you know it was worth the wait. And its reasonably safe. None of the tuning companis give you any promisses that you will not blow up your engines as doesn't Richard. If you destroy your engine its your own fault. So Richard will to the same thing as the profit minded firms only way more cheaper. I even got a new turbo for the money I saved :P It's your own choise what mod to get.
1996 850R 2.0 T5 - "Beebi R"
1994 480 Turbo - RichMod - sold to get the R
1992 850 2,5 20V - sold to get the R
1987 744 TIC - Haas Tuning - totaled by BMW
1973 142 GL B20E - sold

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:17 am

R5_B18FT, have you any experience at all of using any of Richard's mods?

Do you know what work/R and D Richard did to produce the maps etc he used?

You sound like an expert, please tell me where Richard has gone wrong.

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:36 am

R5_B18FT wrote:u do NOT want a richmod, go to people that do chips for a living, not amateurs
Whats your problem? I don't care if this does go off topic. Please explain what your problem is with Rich and what he does? If you're so high & mighty & oh so knowledgeable-enlighten me so i can see why Rich's ECU mod's are bad.

Or are you just jealous that Rich has actually followed through and done something you wanted to do but couldn't?

So whats wrong with his ECU mod-explain.
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

R5_B18FT
480 Newbie

Post by R5_B18FT » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:20 pm

no need, i was asked why and i answered it...maybe should have done per PM...now think what u want, i give a flying f...

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:03 pm

I just don't understand mate...

You've joined here-and yes, some Renault owners do get a bit of stick-but this is a 480 Forum afterall. I don't think anybody with some decent tuning ideas has come on here and been slated-they might be slated for breaking a decent car to do it, but thats neither here nor there. Most of the ideas just fizzle out, which sometimes is a shame. There are plenty of Renault owners here who get on fine. Perhaps it's a language break down, or it being taken the wrong way because all we see is words. But all that aside, there's still one underlying factor-you always seem to be slating Richard and his 'product' (for want of a better word). And thats the bit i don't understand.

I'm never going to meet you, and to quote yourself, i don't give a flying f... if i don't-i just don't understand why you are the way you are with regards to Richard. I think his mod is awsome. For somebody like me who doesn't have the knowledge to change an engine, spend loads of ££££ on modifications, his ECU solution is all i need. It does the job, it's safe and most important to me, it's cheap. So he's catered for mine and many others needs. And he spent a small fortune testing it on his before he done it to others.

So just think about it before you start slating well respected members. I'm sure most would be interested to hear about progress you make, but you won't make many friends bashng others. It's supposed to be a friendly enthusiast community after all.
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:27 pm

R5_B18FT, why have you deleted your (stupid) post telling people NOT to get an ECU modified by Richard Pruen?

You still haven't responded to my request to tell everyone on what grounds they shouldn't.

Luckily Dan has quoted you so everyone can still see your well-thought out and detailed reasoning.

I'm not going to be as polite as Dan (who showed grace and tolerance in responding to your remarks in the way that he did).
Stop posting defamatory rubbish about something you know nothing about. Note that I'm refering to Richard's work, not your experience or knowledge of tuning.

It now seems like its a given for people to denigrate his work, without ever having actually used his "product".
I back up Dan's comments wholeheartedly- the stage 1 ECU mod that Richard does is effective and reliable. I have used one for three years now in two different vehicles and there has never been a problem.

I won't say anymore. Don't want to tap into the power of our current full moon.

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:42 pm

im not actually that polite...i try to be, but sometimes i just get to the point where i think fuck it....

r5....to be honest, you have proved my initial statement that you will make yourself look a dick...you have.

you came on this board, and made wild statements about how you were gonna blow the secrecy away and start offering maps etc for everyone, and how rich is this and that....and then you asked if anyone had any maps, as your kit miraculously stopped working, then youve just gone downhill from there.
i know this is a free country and a democracy, and free speech to all etc, so im exercising my right to a democratic vote...all those in favour of banning a dick?
;)
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:48 am

oh.....a couple of other things dick......sorry..r5_b18ft......that is your name, dick, yeah?

hands up all those people who are running a richmod?

now...hands up all those who are running either an r5_b18ft mod, or even (and no detriment intended here fella) a Haz mod?

seriously, no detriment intended haz....i have absolutely no beef with u at all, so dont take it the wrong way, just using it to make a point...in fact, i think that most people on this board have no beefs with anyone whatever car they drive....flamewars and bad feelings are usually directed at individual people who make themselves look stupid....and on that score....thread going into HOS or threats from admins aside, i will not back down...if you attack someone for no apparent reason, dont stand there like an immature little boy and cry when the same sort of feelings are directed back at you..this was the point i tried to make in your first idiotic thread, which apparently went waaay over your head.
maybe...if rich doesnt answer...instead of crying, you could hold your breath....do us all a fucking favour

rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:55 am

Chris1roll wrote:..........and having a whacking great chip on your shoulder.........
this is actually quite funny in retrospect....chris posted this in part of a message to 'dick' in another thread...and it got locked before i could ask if his chip had been modded.....maybe even richmodded....that would be cool...a richmodded shoulder chip

nice and toasty
rgrds
rob

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:48 am

that would be cool...a richmodded shoulder chip
:rofl:

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:50 am

I reckon he is overboost....
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

BNZ
Started learning about 480

Post by BNZ » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:35 am

Do not ignore the fact that a advance map should be optimized regarding the weight of the metal the engine has to tow.
Therefore it might be possible that Haz's maps and/or moods may be more appropriate for a R5 1.7 than a Volvo,witch may be predisposed to detonation in case the advance is more aggressive !

That's why it will be great if this dispute will be ended with a graphic from al the involved parts...case witch apparently will not happen
[url=http://bnz.blip.tv][img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/tm8bnz/ReVolvolution_Banner.gif[/img][/url]

Rapid-R5
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Rapid-R5 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 am

Nah chris, he isnt overboost, he isnt even in uk mate, spoke to him on msn a bit, says he used to ''do a bit of work'' for superchips, sent me what he found out about the ECU we use, means nothing to me.

Also, to whoever asked, i have a Haz/overboost ECU and it works well, i love the volvo/renault debate and have been on here for a few years, but this one getting a bit bitchy now.

I like this forum and the people on it, yeah got some stick in the begining, but hey i'm still here, and will offer any advice i can to volvo owners, as you lot do me, and i dont want to be considered another renault ''dick'' (no need for name calling tho) just here for a quick fix, as a lot of renault people seem to come and go.

steve
Renault 5, 1.7 volvo turbo engine, turbo technics turbo, lowered on koni, scorpion stainless exhaust, samco and stainless pipework, front mount intercooler, about 170 bhp.....more to come!

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:06 pm

I'm sick of this also.

The situation is thus:-
Renault owners on here seem to need to be a little more polite to be accepted than volvo owners. This is a volvo forum/club, so really its to be expected.

Personally i find the contributions of the renault people interesting and useful. Mr rapid here of course has been very constructive with my t25 fitting, and Haz offered me a brew a year ago. - An offer i'm still hoping to take him up on when i have a runnign car!!
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

BNZ
Started learning about 480

Post by BNZ » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Many shapes but still one hearth ! Right ? So where's the pb ? :D
[url=http://bnz.blip.tv][img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/tm8bnz/ReVolvolution_Banner.gif[/img][/url]

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:22 am

Rapid-R5 wrote: and i dont want to be considered another renault ''dick''
steve
absolutely not fella.....like i say, i have no problems with anyone regardless of the car they drive....its the attitude that i have issues with, not the car.

and as john says constructive help and even good natured banter and critisism are good....just not down right idiocy from the first post.
rgrds
rob