My motoring life whilst owning a 480.

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

My motoring life whilst owning a 480.

Post by catgroom » Sun May 20, 2007 5:04 pm

Hello!

My name is Steve,aka Groomus,Catgroom and others!

I have owned a 480 since 2000,a red 1987 ES.It was on 156k and had plenty of life and power for what it was.I had to move East to Lincs and my Dad said dont bring a car with you.I was banned from driving then,and had to move it quickly.I gave it to Chris Wickers who runs the 400 Section at www.volvoclub.org.uk He used this for spares..
I had to re take my test in 2002 and got another 480,a Turbo manual in Black Met.

I knew nothing about 480 then.So I sold it as I though 102000 was high mileage!

Anyway,I had found her replacement too and this was a 34,000 miled White Satin Turbo Auto.I still drive this car today and is about to turn 130000 already!Yes!

I thought my gearbox had died last year,and had holiday 600 miles away 2 days later...

So,I bought manual Paris Turbo 1992.Rich did me a special Mod for it and it flew like the wind.It was a rough car bodywise though.

I had time on return from my holiday to check out the white car.I found it not to be a dead box and got it back on the road in no time.

I have owned sooo many cars.I find the Volvo 480 the most difficult companion to part company with,car wise!! That is one good thing,and bad too.I must experience another kind of car someday afterall..

Steve :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:20 am

OK,well thought I'd better update this...

2 weeks back now I decided to take my Turbo off the road and replace her.

The Auto Box is just beginning to slip (albeit very slightly),and I didnt want to end up forking out for another one.Plus,the amount of love I have lavished on this car was constantly outweighing the pleasure I was getting in return.

So,she awaits her fate.

I now have a 1994 Audi Coupe 2.6E V6 Manual.Its really bloody odd having done 111k in nothing but 3 480 Turbos since 2003.BUT,this car is smooth,well made and quiet...

The fuel consumption is nearly as good (must be running lean surely!)It has a Full Audi History and thats how its going to stay!Im fed up with working on cars!!!

I know one day I WILL have another one though.

The,cough,"other" forum Im on now is great but not the same.The layout isnt as organised but its still really helpful and like this site,the response time is rapid!

Viva Wedgus!

Steve
Last edited by catgroom on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20