A happy new 480 owner with a lot of questions

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: A happy new 480 owner with a lot of questions

Post by WRDendy » Sat May 04, 2024 7:56 am

It's a zebra connector - same as the digital clock as discussed here, with pictures: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36957
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

fruktstav
480 Newbie

Post by fruktstav » Fri May 10, 2024 8:42 pm

Thanks for the advice on the info centre, fellas! I will try to make some time to get it sorted asap.

In other news: I have managed to fix my horn issue; I took the button off and lo and behold - it was disconnected :lol: So that's fixed now. However, I have noticed another issue - the long range lights only work when the stalk is being held in - i.e. being used to "flash indicate". And before you ask, yes I have turned the switch on next to the seat warmers, but still there's no long range lights on when the full beam is turned on. I read somewhere that the button may be faulty so I'm thinking I should short it out. Any tips on how to go about doing that? Do you have to go behind the panel or could you pop the button out somehow?

Another issue I didn't mention is the oil pressure/battery meter (and turbo pressure meter for the turbos, but mine's an ES) is completely dead. Any tips there?

Thanks for all the kind advice, guys! I hope we all get to have a superb 480 summer :)

Burnttoast
480 Newbie

Deciding wether to purchase a 480

Post by Burnttoast » Tue May 14, 2024 8:29 pm

Hey guys ,

Just wanted to jump on here to ask about the 480 and for an experienced pair of eyes to take a look at a listing that I am looking to buy. I’m 18 and looking at the 480 specifically because I’m bored of seeing my mates driving polos and fiesta’s. I want something with life and history. So if anyone could take a peek at this listing and tell me their thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
https://www.partridgemotorcars.co.uk/us ... ex-4270655
^^ the listing

royhedger
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by royhedger » Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm

Hey burnttoast,
A really good choice to get a 480 instead of a corsa!
That ones been for sale for ages. At 4k it's top money for a 480. It looks to be in good condition, apart from the rear wheel arches which are still reasonable, but starting to go.

I guess as it's from a dealer it will come with a warranty, at least 3 months (try to get 1 year by haggling). As they've had it for a long time they may accept a cheeky bid 😀

If you didn't want to shell out 4k, there are a few cars for sale a lot cheaper, look on eBay and the 480uk Facebook page.
Depends on what you want I guess, I'd say buy the best condition one you can afford. They all have issues of some sort, but usually are reasonably easy to fix with a bit of searching for info on here or on the FB page.

Things to check.
When was cam belt last changed. This should be every 4 years or 60k miles
Does info centre function correctly
Does Speedo and odometer work ok.
Do pop up headlights pop up quickly and smoothly
What are door bottoms, sills, boot floor in spare wheel well and wheel arches like, check for rust.
Rear lights can fade and or crack. New are available but not cheap.
Same for front DRL and indicators.
Is there water ingress at rear, usually getting in through rear lights, rear side marker or cables to rear window and wiper where they cross from body to boot lid. Easily fixable.
Does it idle ok, and accelerate smoothly.
All gears ok, no crunching etc...

Good luck in your search.
Last edited by royhedger on Tue May 14, 2024 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White 1990 480 Turbo Auto
Caspian Blue 2015 V70 D5 SE Lux

Previously G reg 480 ES Black and D reg 480 ES in Silver

royhedger
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by royhedger » Tue May 14, 2024 10:02 pm

Oh, and if you tell us your location, you never know you may be near a member who will come and check a car over with you, or at least give you some good advice, and may be able to assist with maintenance etc..
White 1990 480 Turbo Auto
Caspian Blue 2015 V70 D5 SE Lux

Previously G reg 480 ES Black and D reg 480 ES in Silver