heater aircon crisis!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

heater aircon crisis!

Post by timrosser » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi everyone, my celebs winter of discontent has continued with the heater giving up last night. The interior fan is still busy, but the heater, even in aircon max setting is not blowing any warm air.

I have had a bit of a flood in the car in the last month, as well as a leak in the coolant system- which seems to have been fixed by some holts radweld. Could this have killed my heater matrix? Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Tim

Tom480GT
480 Newbie

Re: heater aircon crisis!

Post by Tom480GT » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Might be an obvious check, but...
Have you bled the system to make sure you do not have any air locks?

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:12 pm

if your heater matrix has developed a leak this can be checked out easily .
When they leak they always leak to the passenger side into the passenger footwell. You can tell if it came from the heater matrix because the "water from the cooling system" has anti freeze in it and will be coloured. .
To check remove the side tunnel carpet pull back the floor carpet as far as possible slide hand in and check under the sound proofing/ under underfloor underlay you might have to cut it to get access.

another check

remove the bottom panel from the heater so that you can actually get your hand in to touch the matix. go for a run and then see if its warm/hot . turn on fan and see if the air blows across it . This can also check if the little valves which the aircon use to open and close the flaps are working.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:03 pm

glasgowjim wrote:if your heater matrix has developed a leak this can be checked out easily .
When they leak they always leak to the passenger side into the passenger footwell. You can tell if it came from the heater matrix because the "water from the cooling system" has anti freeze in it and will be coloured. ..
mine leaked into BOTH sides :-)

can't always see the colour but if it tastes 'sweet' then coolant, if salty then from your shoes :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:23 pm

It was only a matter of time before I was spotted licking my 480 in public! Thanks for the tips guys!

Tim