ITS warmer in Greenland than Glasgow today

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

ITS warmer in Greenland than Glasgow today

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Bloody hell police advise absolutely no unecessary journeys due to lying snow ( well you cant trust a single word snow says :lol: ) and subzero temperatures.

Hell its been absolutely baltic here the highest temp where I stay was -8 for an hour or two then it dropped to -10 tpnight while driving home the temp dipped to -14 never been so low :D .
When i walked the dog tonight it was -11 / -12 degrees.

Couple that to snow everywhere and even for me its too cold to do anything on the car outside except change a tyre :rofl:

So anyone looking for spares today - I never got out to check and that includes the spare nosecone which is under inches of snow. :lol:

Big Brother

Re: ITS warmer in Greenland than Glasgow today

Post by Big Brother » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:02 am

Lowest its been here is -8, buts that’s enough for me. We only had a dusting of snow which froze, then the temperature got to 9◦C and it rained heavily which, then that night the temperature dropped to -7 so we had our selves our own personal ice rink. I’m glad I have a FWD car :D

2001 V70

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:39 am

well its -15 dropping to -16 just now in north glasgow 9.30 am

it is cold :eek:

ChrisRidett
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by ChrisRidett » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:06 pm

I sure as hell dont envy you up there...... was snowy enough here, but the temp prob didnt go below -7 ish

I did silently smirk to myself this morning watching a big new BMW struggle to get into the car parking spot at the station, whilst a Saab 93 just pulled up beside him, straight into a similarly icy spot, got out and walked off, all while the beemer driver was still trying to get traction!

:lol:
Cars: Bond Bug 700ES, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5A,Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6, Nissan 200 SX , MG-ZR, Rover 25 , Volvo V40 1.9TD, 480 Turbo..POPPY- to be released back into the wild, Volvo V70 D5 (ExWife nicked it, gave it back broken,I fixed it temp, flogged it to WeByAnyCr before it broke again :). Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CDX ( Strangest car ever).
Now have a full OBD software so although the 480's didnt have it - any members need a cars Engine Management Light reset post 1999 get in touch :)

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:36 pm

Enjoy it while it lasts :) We've had quite reasonable -2 to -5 degrees C here in Finland for some time now (last winter the record was a -41C in the north). About 40-50cm of snow which is a bit more than usual this time of year. Get your skis out!
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:09 am

In Poland we have about +2*C Celsius. Last week dropped a lot of snow, but now this white s*hit melts. It's worse than a -15*, because everything flows :roll:
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

il Conte

Post by il Conte » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:37 am

In Rome today there are +17°, but yesterday in Sicily there were +27° and some people were on the beach!

Merry Christmas!! :lol:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:10 am

Surprise went out to work expecting to be hit by a wall of cold and it was warm only -5 and rising to -3 degrees . So will be able to work outside on the cars for a few hours at a time :hopping: isnt it a wonderful world. :lol:

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:11 pm

I went to Milan a few months ago working where it was +35 and 75% humidity, it took me 2 days to acclimatise and be able to think properly

Everyone thinks that kind of heat is fantastic, well if you are on holiday can spend all the time on the beach, it might be, however its not good when you go there to work.

2001 V70

il Conte

Post by il Conte » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:53 pm

volvo-bigbrother wrote:I went to Milan a few months ago working where it was +35 and 75% humidity, it took me 2 days to acclimatise and be able to think properly

Everyone thinks that kind of heat is fantastic, well if you are on holiday can spend all the time on the beach, it might be, however its not good when you go there to work.
I agree with you, but few months ago it was still summer!
Milan is usually less hot the Rome 'cause it's in northern Italy and 35°there are only in this season.
However I think the climate can not be considered a "problem" in Italy compared to many other countries.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:11 pm

the temperature rose to balmy +3 degrees so spent about 4 hours outside , changed the OS popup motor and refitted nose cone helped 3 cars to move in the melting snow including digging one out kind of .