The big respray adventure

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Melvin480
Knows where Volvo is from

The big respray adventure

Post by Melvin480 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:34 pm

WARNING: IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF RUST, DON'T CONTINUE READING :wink:

Well, I thought this would be the right time to show the experiences from last week with you all. I wanted to have my car resprayed as the red paint isn't as red anymore as it once has been. There were some rust spots that needed fixing. After someone hit my car when it was parked and caused a dent in de right front wing, the time had come to begin.

Then, the first decision. Which color to choose? I chose to keep it original, so the car will be resprayed in red 231. The parts that really needed more or less new paint were both rear arches, the roof, the left door and the right front wing. Together with a hood that is faded it doens't make sense to have only those parts resprayed. So, the whole car has to be done.

First some pictures of why the car needs some new paint:

What do you think is this?:

Well, it is the roof. Don't know what the history of the roof is, but somewhere in the life time of the car it has got a layer of clear paint on the roof. Two years ago it started to fall of:

I first started with removing the black stripes at the sides and the bumpers of the car. It revealed the true color of the red paint and the black stripes:

Everything went fine so far. Then it was time to remove the rear clusters, which were sealed with window sealant. One i sealed myself with one line of sealant around the cluster. It was fairly easy to remove this cluster. The other one however, was already sealed when I bought the car. It was sealed with so much sealant that it was pressed out at each side and at the inside of the car. It took me 1.5 hours to get this cluster out in one piece.

The tailgate sealing rubber was leak free because it was sealed with some kind of sealant. It came off easy, but what was hiding underneath the rubber was kind of a shock:

The day after I brought the car to the place where it is going to be resprayed. The tailgate rubber holding edge will be fixed, only the total price will be higher. I have disassembled most of the car myself. I was a bit worried about the rear bumper as the inner bumper is known for being rotten away, but it wasn't. The rear bumper is replaced years ago by the previous owner. Look at the nice rear inner bumper:

The front bumper turned out to be in a 'bit' less good condition. From the outside it looked reasonable. With some rust and fallen of paint at the bottom side of the inner bumper. But when trying to remove one of the foglights, it felt of without applying much force, taking the mounting brackets with it. After separating the inner bumper from the outher one, it became clear that a bumper can be that rotten and still looks reasonable from the outside. Note that at next photo, all the mess on the floor are parts of bumper and are something like 10% of the total amount that came of:

Here are some more pictures of how the car looked when I left:

To end this part of the story, some nice 440/460 replacement arches that will be used to replace (parts of) the rusted arches.

This is the story so far. Next week friday I will get the car and bring it home on a trailer. At that time it should have been welded, smoothened, completely resprayed and have the black stripes sprayed on the bumper and sides. Then at home I'll reassemble everything.

To be continued.....
Last edited by Melvin480 on Sat May 23, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Sat May 23, 2009 7:08 am

Only couple of pics work! :(

But I think the original colour is the way to go too :)
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Sat May 23, 2009 5:43 pm

I've repaired the image links. All the pictures are working now here.

I think the original color looks the best too. The new paint will be the original color with a clear layer on top of it.

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Re: The big respray adventure

Post by DaKyy » Sat May 23, 2009 6:46 pm

Melvin480 wrote: Image
That seems to be one of the weak points of early models...

And on top there is just few rust bubbles :) Hopefully yours isn't that bad yet :)
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:10 pm

I didn't want to remember that picture :lol: But I think mine isn't that bad. I've removed the rubber that runs along the roof, and the rust spot isn't any bigger than shown above.

But next week I will find out. Tuesday the windscreen will be removed and the roof will be sanded.

And the first one of your pictures shows the right side of the car. The second one the left. I assume the left looked worse than the right before you started poking around?

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Sun May 24, 2009 4:59 am

The left side looked quite same on top as the right one. The horrible truth came out when I started poking on it :P The right side had to be done also though but there were no holes, only surface rust.

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:34 am

Another interesting thing. I realised that I got towed home last summer, using the towing eye attached to the front bumper. If you see how the bumper is rotten away completely, it's strange that the towing eye wasn't ripped off the bumper during towing.

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Sun May 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Don't frighten me guys! I have the same bubbles on the roof like Melvin!!!
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:33 pm

Today I went to the repair shop again to bring an used bumper to replace my rotten away one. As a new inner bumper would cost 150Euro and takes too long to deliver (has to come from Sweden) a used bumper would be the best.

Today the last parts like the front right wing (was damaged) and the rear side windows were removed for optimal respray quality. Further I worked there some time to remove the bolt and nut residues from the brackets that hold the cover behind the rear wheel. I made two photographs today. One op the inner front bumper in the sunlight and one of the right rear arch. Seems that at a previous time when the arch was fixed, a lot of filler was used. Now, the filler could be cracked of in big chunks from the rusty arch, as can be seen in the picture. Can't wait too see how the arch looks at the end of the week after welding the new parts in :)

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Mon May 25, 2009 8:16 pm

bigdickbuster wrote: Don't frighten me guys! I have the same bubbles on the roof like Melvin!!!
It won't be a problem if you fix it soon :)

shimon340

Post by shimon340 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:12 am

hi,

thanks for the pics and good luck with the restoration!

I like the axle stand set up you have there...who makes that sort of stand / where did you get it? looks good!

best of luck with the restoration!

S

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:15 am

Some good and some less good news today. I called the shop today to give some information and ask about the progress. The good news is that the rear arches are welded and looking good. The metal edge were the tailgate seal rubber goes on top of is also welded and good again. They windscreen surrounding rubbers were removed and the rust was only at the edge of the rubber. The person from the glass replacing company advised to keep the windscreen in and reseal around it. This would be better that removing the windscreen.

The less good news was that it takes longer than expected. The paint on the roof that started to fell of, is very hard. It seems that when the layer of clear paint was applied, way to much of hardener was mixed into the paint. This also has caused the paint to crack and fall of. Because it is that hard, it is more work to sand the roof and get all the bad paint of. For this reason it's not clear at the moment if all the parts will be finished by friday. Either way I pick up the car on friday and start assembling. If not everything can be finished, then I'll pick up the bumpers next week.

Another bad thing is that I don't have any pictures of the current state :lol:

dutmanjf
Started learning about 480

car

Post by dutmanjf » Fri May 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Did you picked it up today? i am very curious about the results :hopping:

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:34 pm

Only one photo because it is late now. (and because I haven't made much photo's :lol: ) It gives an idea about the color it is now. You can see the reflection of the Subaru at the side of the 480. The black stripes will be done later when everything is assembled.

Auk
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Auk » Sat May 30, 2009 6:50 am

Hi Melvin, nice job you've done! She's really shining from happiness now!

Looks great! :D
Auke

Volvo. for life

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:07 pm

Today I worked on reassembling the car. It is starting to look like a car again :D Today I almost finished the front end, only the inner plastic arches, the plastic trim underneath the windscreen and the licenseplate have to be done.
Here is one of the new rear arches:
I hope to finish most of the reassembling of the car tomorrow. The paint is looking good at most places. Only a few parts are not good enough at this moment. These will be corrected later. One example of this are the popup covers. When the popups are down, the covers look great. But when the popups are up the edges of the covers are not painted as good as the top. I'm sure this will be solved next week or so.
Last edited by Melvin480 on Sun May 31, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dutmanjf
Started learning about 480

good

Post by dutmanjf » Sun May 31, 2009 8:19 pm

That looks great Melvin, It fits in a showroom i guess :wink:

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:40 pm

Today I did some painting myself. The edge underneath the tailgate was fixed and resprayed in red. I didn't like the idea of red shining through between the lights and the tailgate, so painted it black again.
The to-do list is getting shorter:
-rear lights and middle section
-boot panels
-tailgate rubber
-side mirrors
-doorpanels
-front plastic inner arches
-2 pieces of bump strip

And after that a good clean up the interior. It's very dusty inside the car.

B18FT - LOVER
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by B18FT - LOVER » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:17 pm

Looks good

I would paint the inside of your arch's red or black, they look a weird colour and let the paint job down.. Otherwise spot on, good to see another one saved... ;)

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:51 am

Do you mean the front or rear arches? The front arches will be covered with the black plastic inner covers. The rear arches have been treated (after the photo was taken) with Tectyl spray to prevent them from rusting. They are as black as possible now.

Another thing that would make it look better is when I put my Taurus summer wheels back on. I've put the Pollux wheels with winter tyres on during the respray and rebuild because they have all kinds of small damage on them, unlike my Taurus wheels.

Thanks everyone for your compliments :D