Damp Passenger Carpet

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

AcidicDavey
Can tell where the 480 was built

Damp Passenger Carpet

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:50 pm

As the title says there's a small slighly damp patch under the mat, about the size of a fiver.

It does smell like old coolant unfortunately but the heater seems to work just fine so what could it be? A sign that the heater matrix is past it?
Poppy sold 2 year ago, sorely missed :(

Now driving my 98 V70 AWD inherited 8 years ago!

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Re: Damp Passenger Carpet

Post by chriskay » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:40 pm

Yes, very likely heater matrix. You may find one is available in Glasgow. :wink:
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm told it's a very big job to swap one over, is this right?

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:14 pm

No it is not a big job but it is awkward .

The way to check is to remove the centre tunnel side carpet on the passenger side. if the heater matrix is leaking you can then put your hand underneath and check out if it is wet from the matrix down or is stained the colour of the coolant. If you still cant tell then remove the bottom plastic plate to expose the matrix and then have another feel about if you is still dry then the water is coming from something else.

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Thu May 05, 2011 7:54 pm

My temperature is now really weird according to the gauge. After start up she'll get to about 76oC then shoot up to 97oC then go back down to 76 again and then go back to about 88-89 and stay there. I don't know if it's the Info centre playing up or it because of the matrix but since my coolant level drops I definitely need a new one.

So can anybody offer me a cheap matrix since they don't appear to make new ones anymore!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu May 05, 2011 8:01 pm

u cauld ?

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Thu May 05, 2011 8:44 pm

glasgowjim wrote:u cauld ?
You have a PM Jim

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu May 05, 2011 10:04 pm

and u2 :lol:

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun May 08, 2011 9:52 pm

glasgowjim wrote:and u2 :lol:
You've got yet another!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:53 pm

I still haven't replaced this yet as the car's been off the road but I think it's about time I swapped it over now. Are there any detailed how-to guides out there for matrix replacement?

suddy
480 Is my middle name

Post by suddy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Think my heater matrix has gone too.

Took the console and carpets off but the plastic cover for the heater matrix is bone dry.

Are there any secrets to removing the plastic cover, is it just undo the bolts and pull it apart?
1995 480 S 2.0 237,000 Miles

aidanmorris
Started learning about 480

Post by aidanmorris » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Having had wet carpets and water vapor coming out of the vents on and off for a while I'm also planning to change my heater matrix.

Like you I've got the centre console out (had to remove the rear section as well which the Haynes manual didn't mention) and was expecting to spot the leak straight away but it's not as obvious as I thought it would be considering how much coolant must have come out to make the carpets so wet.

Before tackling the removal of the matrix I thought I'd drive round for a few days and use the heater to see if I could eventually spot it but so far still no sign of any leak (and wierdly no water vapor either) and I'm beginning to wonder whether I should bother with all the effort and instead just put some K-Seal (rad weld) in the system and see if that will do

On the other hand having got so far I might just replace it and be done, I've bought a replacement off Glasgow Jim so might as well.

Will keep you posted.

Aidan
1967 Land Rover Series IIA SWB
1995 Volvo 480 Celebration (sold)
2003 Condor Squadra and 2008 Condor Italia (2 wheels, no engines!)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Just going by memory to remove the heater matrix ...

step 1 drain the radiator into a container and keep the fluid to refill or make up freshh water /antifreeze mix.
step2 loosen and remove the heater hoses where it joins the heater matrix pipes. Be careful to avoid putting too much pressure on the pipes.
step 3 inside the car remove the large plastic stud at the foot of the central side carpet and unclip it from the vent then pull the side central carpet clear (it has velcro at the end nearest the handbrake .) Now pull down the little corrugated connectors (there are 2) and remove . You can see them in this picture and also the metal support..
step 4 now using an allen or hex key loosen the bolts and remove the 2 piece metal support. do not worry nothing will collapse or break :D .
step5 Pull out the ashtray and loosen the retaining screw in the ashtray base. Then using a longish flat or slotted screwdriver insert it in the tunnel and use it to push out the 2 lugs on each side of the central console cubbys and pull out there is a sequence of removing them but it will be obvious when you are taking it apart.
step 6 using a small socket or spanner I think it is 7mm but could be 8mm loosen all the small black bolts at each side and the bolt or bolts in the front edge as well. Now pull down and away on the large plastic base and put it out the way.
step 7 VERY IMPORTANT there is another bolt which holds a plastic yoke that clamps onto the two metal pipes that MUST BE REMOVED !!!!!!
step 8 now you can pull and ease out the heater matrix and fit the replacement. It is likely to be stiff as the pipes feed through a rubber mat and are a neat fit. In this picture the central square aperture for the pies with the rubber seal in place is in the centre of the bulkhead in the photo (this photo was taken while I was removing an aircon system NOT changing a heater matrix. Image

Anyway you have replacement pipes and o rings anyway
when you have removed the matrix refitting is a reberse of this procedure.

I suggest you keep all the small parts (o rings etc) and pipes from your old matrix they can be reused at a later date.

sorry I dont have a complete set of photos but I will see what I can do ;)

suddy
480 Is my middle name

Post by suddy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Thankyou for the photos - went to the scrapyard earlier and got one from a 440 (same part as mine).

I think the plastic case is dry because the water evaporates because of the heat from the matrix, it is definitely coolant in the footwell... could only be the heater matrix itself or the pipes maybe...

Was easy really, almost forgot about the plastic clamp on the pipes and just needed to be gentle when removing the matrix..

Now to fit the replacement...

Stephen

aidanmorris
Started learning about 480

Post by aidanmorris » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:53 pm

Finally got round to changing my heater matrix today.

All went pretty smoothly except for getting the screw that holds the plastic yoke undone, i thought that was tricky but it was a doodle when compared to putting it back on! Whilst easing the old matrix out I must have broken the plastic hinge on the yoke so re-fitting it whilst getting the screw back in all just with finger tips was a bit of a mission.

Anyway fingers crossed thats sorted the leak and now all I've got to do is dry out my soggy carpets.
1967 Land Rover Series IIA SWB
1995 Volvo 480 Celebration (sold)
2003 Condor Squadra and 2008 Condor Italia (2 wheels, no engines!)

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Nice one guys, I still haven't done this yet. I'll be getting the car out soon to sort this out once and for all!!!

suddy
480 Is my middle name

Post by suddy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Well for me it turned out that it was the hoses where they went through the bulkhead.

Took the bottom cover from the heater matrix housing and it was bone dry, dusty in fact, no white residue left over from when coolant evaporates or anything similar. It hadn't seen any water since it was made.

Easy fix, just put new hose clips on the hoses..