I have Two En-suite's

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Captain Slow
480 Expert

I have Two En-suite's

Post by Captain Slow » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:53 pm

So, I have two (at least) water leaks in the 480, one in the boot, one in the front passenger footwell.

This image shows where the water appears to be getting into the boot, it seems to be running down the inside of the plastic of the C-pillar, then dripping onto the trim below, then into the boot, as per the photo:
[img]http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/ab33 ... C00632.jpg[/url]

This seems to be happening on both sides, and after reading this thread:

http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=17888

I am suspecting the rear window seals. The old hose-pipe test is still to be done but i wondered what you guys thought? to get to the top of those side-rear window seals I'm guessing ill have to remove the plastic trim above....

The front passenger footwell is maybe a bit more of a mystery to me having read
http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=17841

the water is getting in beneth the peice of trim one removes to get to the CEM (ive seen the drops of water) so the problem shouldnt be the heater matrix. This seems to leave the drainage plugs under the bonnet but they are clear, at least where I can see.....is there any other likely place this water could be getting in?

One final (unrelated) question, on the outer edge of the sills, about 10inches infront of the rear jacking points there is what looks to be a rubber gromit (about 1/3 inch diameter), what is this? It has been painted over my first thought was it could signify the jacking point (but it doesnt), then I wondered if it was a drainage hole?

Thought I would post this lot up now before I go to my parents for christmas and commandeer their garage to sort it out!
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Volvo no longer supply the rubber seals which go round the rear hatch . If you believe that the water is coming in at the top of the rear hatch , around the hinges and where the rear window wiring loom goes in a hose test will show this up or alternatively just close hatch and then put gaffer tape across the top so that no water can get in that way and see if that works . I did it with one of mine a year or so back and it stopped the rain coming in but the boot didnt open and it was ugly!

Also remember that the sunroof drains into the rear of car at each side behind the wheel arch and down the A pillars.

To seal the rear side windows remove top and B pillar trim use a narrow screwdriver and a narrow nozzle and seal round the window.

take all the rear interior trim out abd do the hose test it will show up th eleaks faster and more accurately. After sealing and curing you can also use yacht chandlers stuff which works by capillary action and draws itself into any small crevice sealing it . Dont know name ?

If that doesnt work give up breed goldfish / emigrate to a dreir climate or torch the car for being so wicked :rofl:

damn me I am mistyping grand style 2nite.

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by ted clutch » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:16 am

i used to get water in the front when the back lights were leaking. it runs runs in channels along the floorpan under the axminster and under the front seats because its all downhill. make sure you never want to remove them and silicone seal the lights in. or set fire to it.

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Ok, think I'll have to have a proper go next week, taking off all the trim. I suspect that i'll find that its coming in from the side windows to the boot, as opposed to through the top of the rear hatch as the seals are dry up there.

As for the front passenger footwell I afraid that it is not coming from the rear as there are droplets running down inside the trim just infront of the front of the door....more investigation required here....
Previously....

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:40 am

Could it be from sunroof drain hose?

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:40 pm

Amazin go to the how to section and see the thread of pictures recently put up of a naked sunroof :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:32 pm

hope its not from the sunroof seeing as i dont have one :wink:

Finally removed a shed from my parents garage and managed to have a play yesterday. Turns out its leaking from the bottom rear corner of the rear side windows AND the clusters. Have been to volvo today and they didnt have enough seals for 1 cluster, let alone both. But i did get 2 for the price of one!
Previously....

Quagmire_GT
Started learning about 480

Re: I have Two En-suite's

Post by Quagmire_GT » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 am

iam glad i aint got a sunroof :D :rofl:
M*** PRA, 96 GT Maroon owned
K*** TBJ, Donor 2.0l 2 tone
Pictures: http://s806.photobucket.com/albums/yy344/quagmire_GT

I MANAGED TO STRAP A CARDBOARD BOX TO A LAWNMOWER AND GET THE DVLA TO REGISTER IT, NOW LETS SEE WHO WILL BUY ANYCAR.COM!!

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Re:

Post by Captain Slow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Captain Slow wrote:Have been to volvo today and they didnt have enough seals for 1 cluster, let alone both. But i did get 2 for the price of one!
The above was volvo in Nottingham, they reckoned that they could only get the pathetic ~foot long strips of sealant for the clusters. Now I'm back up in scotland the dealer in Dundee reckons he has got the proper long rolls :D
Previously....