Rear Bike Carriers

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Darren
Can tell where the 480 was built

Rear Bike Carriers

Post by Darren » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:15 pm

The biking spirit is kicking in for Summer and my girlfriend and I have decided to pull the dusty bikes out and start cycling. One problem, only one of the bikes will fit into the back with the rear seats down. Even then, with my driving position, it is tight.

The roof rails are ‘hens teeth’ a million times over, and even if a good set did turn up they are rare enough to go for silly money. I managed to win a genuine Volvo towbar on eBay but never got it fitted as I haven’t managed to track down the genuine electrics kit to go with it.

The only option I’m left with is to fit a rear bike carrier, and having looked at quite a few different types online, ‘Volvo 480’ is quite popular in the ‘not suitable for the following cars:’ list. I really don’t know if you could adapt a universal one to fit, as I don’t know anybody with a carrier I could test out.

Does anybody have any experience with rear carriers suitable for a 480?

In the mean time I was thinking of letting the wheels stick out the back with the tailgate tied down to the bumper towing eye with a bungy cord, but I don't think it's very ideal for longer journeys?

I’m beginning to think it’s time to move up to an Estate… Towbar, dog guard, roof rails, bike carrier – all my wants and needs are a distance blur! :cryhard:
[b]Make:[/b] Volvo � [b]Model:[/b] 480 S � [b]Year:[/b] 1995 � [b]Colour[/b]: Black Met. � [b]Engine[/b]: 1721cc

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/thisismyminiadventure/V480S/sigavatar/480S_Downhill.jpg[/img]

clubman_dan
480 Rookie

Post by clubman_dan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:31 am

i have the same problem as you, no rear mount carriers that work, roof rails are rare, i thought about getting a tow bar and fitting a towbar mounted carrier, but my bike is too heavy and exceeds the safety limits for the carriers! (and thats just on its own, not including other peoples bikes!)
i remove the wheels and then you can fit the frames in the back and stick the wheels on top.
the only problem is that with a heavy bike you can really fuck your back up trying to lean in to the boot with it.
not sure what to suggest other than get the wheels off and try not to ruin your back!
Dan :)
'05 Skoda Fabia Vrs- diesel power baby!
'91 turbo oyster grey- full leather, momo wheel, aircon- SOLD
'94 turbo, metallic black- Scrapped
'95 2.0 es SOLD!
'86 mini 1380 rather fast!!
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,clubman-unl-dan,white,black.png[/img][/url]

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by owen080808 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:42 am

I've had 2 bikes and 2 people in mine on many occasions, it can be tight but with wheels off it shouldn't be a problem.

re bike carriers, most of the universal ones I've seen attach to the tailgate with clips on tightenable straps. on the 480 I wouldn't use them as the tailgate is glass and i would think it might just crack where the clips are.

A towbar one would be good, but then you'd have to spoil your 480 with a towbar the rest of time!
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

Darren
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Darren » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:19 pm

Thanks for the replies.

It's awkward enough fitting bikes into the rear space, but I think having to remove the wheels each time would kill the motivation to actually go out and cycle! :( I keep getting the pedals stuck on the rear light panel, and if that isn't bad enough, my tailgate struts only hold the tailgate up 50% of the time!

I've got a genuine Volvo towbar here; I managed to get it on eBay some time ago. I'd get it fitted, but don't really want to unless I was having it wired up. Looking for a correct wiring package has been unsuccessful, plus the original reason I bought the towbar for, I no longer require it! :wall:

Just to note, I did actually try the position of having the wheel(s) sticking out the back with the tailgate held down with a couple of bungy cords. Worked a treat, although some protection is required between the bike frame/wheel and rear light panel (inside and out), and you need an extra bungy cord to hold the bike excess tight otherwise it'll slide around!
[b]Make:[/b] Volvo � [b]Model:[/b] 480 S � [b]Year:[/b] 1995 � [b]Colour[/b]: Black Met. � [b]Engine[/b]: 1721cc

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/thisismyminiadventure/V480S/sigavatar/480S_Downhill.jpg[/img]