MacPherson Strut bits and pieces...

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ally
Can tell where the 480 was built

MacPherson Strut bits and pieces...

Post by Ally » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:38 pm

Got myself a set of shiny new Koni specials as I was needing to replace a couple anyway.

Back ones were on in about half an hour - then came the front...

The bearings at the base of the springs seem pretty worn/dry and are making nasty grinding noises (although they do turn freely) and the spring cups at the bottom are fairly badly corroded (one actually has a fairly big hole in it) so replacements seem like a good idea.

Has anyone replaced these recently and can they remember a price from Volvo? Wondering if I'm in for a shock.

Also I've read elsewhere on the forum that replacing the rubber top mounts is a good idea, but they seem fairly sound... What signs of wear are visible or is it just a case of 12 year old rubber ain't as good as new...

Answers on a postcard please. :-D
Fred - 1995 480 2.0i ES - Dark Green Metallic (106,000 miles)
Dave - 1993 480 2.0i ES - Steel Grey Metallic (148,000 miles)

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:57 pm

Also I've read elsewhere on the forum that replacing the rubber top mounts is a good idea, but they seem fairly sound... What signs of wear are visible or is it just a case of 12 year old rubber ain't as good as new...
swap you for mine then!
mine fell to bits when i took them out to change my shocks!
still havent changed them yet, i'm still saving up, they're prob about 5 grand from uncle volvo :lol:
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:11 pm

Hi Ally!!!

The top mounts are about 75 sheets the pair from Volvo,its well worth replacing them.

The damaga yer looking for on these is that the rubber is dry,split,old....fuck it theres no point in not changing them!!!!!

I went to the expense of lowering mine and it was great,but a bag of shite compared to new top mounts.Also check for wear in you bottom track control arms,or wishbones.Lever the arms against the floor to see if they have loads of movement.If so get someone to press in new bushes.Alternatively,call me on 07771 633289 tomorrow morning as Im ordering 2 sets and could get us all a discount if I make it another set at 45 per side VAT included.200 quid from Volvo.Seems like the best time to do it while all yer bits are hanging out eh???!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Steve.
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

Ally

Post by Ally » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:04 am

Thanks for the reply Steve, I've already had the struts in pieces and had a good prod about the top mounts and they seem to be very solid - maybe they've been replaced before? (I've only had the car since March) It's not a big job to strip the struts, and seeing as I'm skint I'll probably just leave them just now.

I think my bushes are fairly worn (though not falling apart) I take it the price you mentioned is for the wishbones with the bushes already inserted - I read your other post about them but wasn't sure exactly what it was you were getting. I also read somewhere that Europarts did the wishbones with bushes for a similar price but haven't contacted them yet. I couldn't decide whether to just be lazy and buy the bushes and let my friendly local mechanic do the fitting as he's got a hydraulic compressor/press.

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:19 am

Hey!

I know GSF do the bushes for the wishbones.

If your wishbones are in good undented condition then yeah use yer pal with the press and just re-bush em.

Martin Holmes and I have just ordered a pair for our cars from Braydon Motor Company though-they were 35 each for the 4,he gave us a tenner off per wishbone!!!!!!!!

Maybe u dont have to be rich after all!!!! :D :lol:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:47 am

I did my own bushes with a large bench vice. Dead easy.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:43 pm

The wishbone mounts are only £10 each from volvo. They are only a few pence cheaper from GSF.

Top mounts are worth doing if for nothing else but peace of mind. Atleast you then know they have been done
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ally

Post by Ally » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:29 pm

Well, I went to see the parts dept. today and ordered some bits.
  • Spring seats - £16 x2
    Bearings £20 x2
    Wishbone bushes £10 x4
    Various nuts and bolts
These prices are approximate and excluding VAT - I expect the bill to be around £120.

I think I'll do as Chris Roll suggested elsewhere and see if the bolts are going to come out the bushes easily, and if not - be lazy and get someone else to do it.

The top mounts can wait as they seem solid and there's other bits I'd rather spend the money on if they're not essential. I think I've spent close to £1500 on parts since I got the car this March, but it's definitely a much happier car now than then. I hate to think how much it will cost me to get it as I would like, but that's not really the point (is it?)

Next big spend will be on wheels and then there's just bits of bodywork to tidy up and get it resprayed. Then it truly will be my dream car...

Ally

Post by Ally » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:01 pm

Went to pick up my bits from Murray Volvo today, and boy was I in for a shock. The bolts that go through the wishbone bushes - list price £14.10 !!! :shock: ... each ... :shock:
Needless to say I left them on the counter.

The parts guy was very apologetic, saying "It's things like that that give Volvo a bad name for parts prices." The upside of it was that he was so ashamed he gave me all the other bits at cost from Volvo so:
  • Spring seats - £13 +VAT each
    Strut bearings - £16.50 +VAT each
    Wishbone bushes - £7.65 +VAT each (cheaper than anywhere else)
All the other nuts and bolts were less than a tenner all in so god only knows why those ones are so expensive. :dunno:

Moral of the story - even at Volvo it's worth haggling on price as they do have a bit of come and go.

Right, I'm off to rebuild my suspension....