cltuch replacement

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ral
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

cltuch replacement

Post by Ral » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:22 pm

My clutch is acting up, as the seller warned me it would. So even from before buying, I've been looking into replacing it. Thing to remember here for anyone making recommendations, is I'm no car mechanic by any stretch of the imagination and I would go to a garage to have it fitted, so please keep it in English ;) (or Dutch). I'm not adverse to learning to tinker with my own car, but I am adverse to doing it in the current temperatures in the UK with no indoors facility to do it in. Only reason I want to buy it myself is to potentially avoid the potentially ridiculous prices charged in garages for parts in general.

On Euro car parts, there's a Nova clutch kit for £21.33 and a Boge/Sachs for £56.88, of which the latter is supposedly made by the original manufacturer of 480 clutches, but is not a genuine part :? On eBay for sale right now is a Borg and Beck clutch plate for the 480 and I was wondering if that is something anyone would consider getting, aside from the fact that it's just the plate and I would need some more bits and bobs? The whole clutch would be available from BuyPartsBy for £49.65. I'm not looking to turn my car into a high performance sort of anything, I just want a clutch that will last me as long as mechanically possible for (obviously) the lowest reasonable price. In other words, I'd like the best life-expectancy/price ratio (not necessarily the cheapest part). Any recommendations, including "save yourself the hassle and just let the garage pick the damn thing for you"? :D

terrastudios
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by terrastudios » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:14 am

Hi

Changing a clutch is not an easy job on these cars, the best way is to lift the engine out, unbolt the gearbox mounting bolts and seperate the box from the engine. You can (and I have done it before) change clutch with the engine in the car but you will smash your hands up and it will take a lot longer (i think it took me 8 hours). If you do not feel confident doing things like this, id take it to a garage and just pay them for the pleasure of scraping there hands up on the thing!

As for which clutch, id just go into a car shop and ask for a clutch for it, somewhere like a motor factors.

Hope this helps a bit

Matt
Website - http://www.tracklogic.co.uk/
Fenix protocol converters, OBDII, wide band controller, GPS, lap timers