Stuck in gear

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

The Great Nothing
Knows where Volvo is from

Stuck in gear

Post by The Great Nothing » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:59 pm

Hi chaps.

Got a nasty problem on my L plate 480Turbo. 115k on the clock.

Short version - Gearbox stuck in second. See below for full details...

Any ideas why?

How can I fix? I guess its a box out job.

How much are 2nd hand or recon boxes?

How much could I expect to pay for someone to change the box for me?

I guess they would want to use their own box, so an 'all in' guide price if anyone knows

Thanks for your experience and help

Matt

Long version -

The history. Clutch been slipping lately while accelerating hard. Planned to adjust cable but not got round to it yet. For years I have occationaly had trouble selecting first at junctions. Never been a major issue though - a good ram would select it! For the last 10-15 miles the gear stick started jumping (forward in 1st) (backward in second) a good few inches under hard acceleration. Would sometimes then fall out of gear and need to be reselected. I thought this was engine mount related.

Today, drove to work as normal. On way heard slight metalic noise which stopped when I dropped clutch, then went totaly. 1 uneventful mile later I parked up at work. No worries. Out to drive at lunch. Started her up (clutch down to start). Selected reverse. Tried to pull away and she went forward. Then realised I could only move the gear stick between neutral and reverse. Damn. No amount of force would move it anywhere else.

Managed to turn her round by pushing (mates foot on clutch) - then got her home using only second.

The clutch operates but she is stuck in second. Dont matter if the stick is in Reverse or Neutral. Always in second.

Got home and took the linkage off the bottom of the stick - the stick moves freely so not jammed there. Then reattached this end and remoced the other end from the box (wrecking the little plastic 2 halved bush in the process - it was OK - ooops). The whole linkage moves fine.

So I came to conclution that it is stuck in 2nd inside the box....

TLindley

Post by TLindley » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:51 pm

Had a similar problem with my Clio (identical engine). How fast were you going when you heard the metallic noise?
I was going about 80 when it happened. Possibly some of the internals of your garbox have melted from overheating, this happened to mine and it locked in gear, because it had melted and cooled after i had stopped. Im not saying this is definately the problem , but if it is its definately a new gearbox. Im not sure how much the 480 costs to get a gearbox replaced or how much work is involed, but for the Clio it was £650 for a reconditioned box (+ fitting).

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:43 pm

Hi Matt!!!

Long time no post!

Anyway,maybe try this-:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboard. ... 3509&page=.

Let me know if you need any help mate!

Steve. :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

The Great Nothing

Post by The Great Nothing » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:53 am

Steve - I been moving house - decorating and working like a dog lately - so not had much time for my car :( maybe thats why I have this problem!!! Hopefuly back on the case now things have settled down. Thanks for the link :)

Hi Tlindley - I was only doing about 40mph when I heard the zing sound of metal. And I completed another 1 miles until I stopped. Either way, after talking to the local gearbox people (they want £200 to remove and report what is wrong - *if* it's repairable, then they will charge to repaire - and £150 to refit. No thanks.

Thought about doing an engine and gearbox swap as one unit as it looks kinda easier (thoughts?), but the only one on ebay - with a nice rear end smash - had done 136k miles. Not the unit for me.

So I am now planning to do a box only change over xmas (yay!), thanks for the info on that box steve - are all Turbo boxes the same? I thought maybe even if it was a 480T box there would prob be differences!......but you think this 440T box will be a straight swap?

Any thing I should look out for? Hints and tips?

Thanks

Matt

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:51 pm

Matt I would ask him the year.Theres 2 maybe 3 types of box,you need an M59,the strongest,and what your car has now.

Sorry mate,posted that a bit too late last night and didnt check that!

The seller Clio rsi I think is on this site too.

Im happy to help after the 29th Dec,when I return from Wales :D

The Great Nothing

Post by The Great Nothing » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:21 pm

Will pm him on here then. cheers

Even the strongest one broke on me

:(

Thanks for the offer - I'll let ya know how is goes.

Looking for a newer car now I think - a nice M or N plate with low milage ! thought I'd found the perfect one on Autotrader. Until i saw it was an auto....so gonna hit the board tonight and see if the 2ltr auto's are any good. Dont really fancy not have manual or a turbo, but.....we'll see

M

The Great Nothing

Where is the gearbox ref number located?

Post by The Great Nothing » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:58 am

Where is the gearbox ref number located?

I am trying to get a gear box from a scrap yard and want to be sure its the right one.

I have a 1993 L plate 480 turbo. Digital info centre.

The guy said he phoned Volvo with the number plate of the scrap car and my plate and was told it was a match....but i have been reading about this M56 or M59 box etc and electronic or mechanical speedo's etc so I am being cautious!

Can you tell me where to find this M59 xxx E number? so I can ask the scrappy to tell me the one off his car.

The only numbers I have from him are 'MT5' and '9121129' - his car is a J plate non turbo

Thanks for your help

Matt

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:23 pm

Well non-turbos have different gear ratios. They will fit but it will be a little different to drive.
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:41 pm

theres a little plate on the top of the box, look into the engine bay on the passenger side and under all the turbo hoses you will see it. its kinda hard to describe where it is!

the 480's all had electronic speedo's but the ES had different ratios and wasnt as strong as the turbo box i think, so you might be better hanging on till you get a proper turbo gearbox.
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:22 pm

It will fit, but it will break, you need a 'box from a turbo.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:37 pm

I have an m59 going if you're deparate...i'm starting to break my 92 tomorrow. (if groom no longer needs it)
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

The Great Nothing

Post by The Great Nothing » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:46 pm

Thanks for your thoughts and info guys.

Looks like I wont be getting this one from the non turbo then - if it's not gonna last, I dont want it!

John, the M59 is the turbo box right? how many miles it done? anything I should know about it? I'm def interested - wanna pm me with details and a price? Much appreiated

Matt

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:23 pm

Nope,not doing the conversion now JT and Matt so just thought I would say.

My Autos staying in,I hope for 200,000 miles from the car and 140,000 from the 'box will be very chuffing! :D Its standing up to Rich's mod absolutely fine.

:hopping: