480 Turbo with leaking gear box

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

mattd
480 Newbie

480 Turbo with leaking gear box

Post by mattd » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:42 pm

This topic has been split from general discussion, Opening post:
Hey guys! :hopping:

My quest for a 480 turbo continues :D ....I found this one about 70miles away...what do you guys think?

"Volvo 480 turbo, M reg, excellent condition, turquoise, garaged, FSH (mostly dealer), fully documented history, 100k, recent tyres/ exhaust/ battery, genuine reason for sale"

It's up for £1050, this seems a bit high to me...what do you guys think?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Topic Continues

Hi all!

Just phoned the potential 480 seller, he said that there's a bit of rust near the sunroof, a hole in one of the rear light clusters and a small leak from the gearbox....

The other two don't bother me much as I can sort those...but the leaky 'box worries me...is this a common problem? He mentioned that it's a 50p seal, but would cost a huge amount in labour!

I'm still in the process of selling my bike to get some cash, so I'm not in any rush....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:47 pm

huge amount in labour, IF you pay someone else. If you do it yourself, its just time.
is it a gearbox oil seal, or the crankshaft oil seal?

the 740 still leaks engine oil from _somewhere_ we just keep topping it up, after a while we have vhanged the oil!! that however, is a £150 car, so kind of expected, for a grand i would require a more professional solution

Oil seals generally cost more than 50p too! the camshaft one on an ES is £11 and the crankshaft one on the 740 was about 18
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto