whistle from 5ht gear

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

EvilFreak
Started learning about 480

whistle from 5ht gear

Post by EvilFreak » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:35 pm

I brought my 480 bout 5months ago, its a dream

One thing tho which is annoying, once in 5th gear i get a whistle.. theres no other symptoms just a whistling squeaky sound like a loose belt but its not a belt.... I have no idea what it can be since it only happens to be in 5th...

Any help...
EvilFreak

Volvo 480 ES 1991, Ripspeed Induction Cone, Destroyed one GT alloy so back to 14inch standard, de-stripped, turbo guages with manifold pressure, twin exit decat
I need of one good GT alloy, PLEASE GOD

rpruen
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by rpruen » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:28 pm

Have you checked the oil level?

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

Benji
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Benji » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:50 pm

Mine does this i was told its the diff bearings, it gets no worse, and it still runs ok, so at the minute not doing anything about it.
All my dads 340's did this as well, but only in fifth.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:22 pm

I doubt its diff bearings as it'd do it in all gears surely.

It's probably the nut holding 5th gear on. They work loose. Does it ever jump out of 5th? I had something similar on mine a few months ago. If 5ths synchro ring gets worn, it seems it can creat a slack gap on the spline with all the gears on if you see what I mean.... Anyway, if it is that, it can be fixed without removing the gearbox.

What you want to do is jack up the front, no need to remove the driveshaft, but drain the gearbox oil... Remove the splashguard from the passenger side wheelarch and you will see a black cover on the gearbox held on by 3 bolts. Remove it and you will see the ends of the primary and secondary shafts. One of the shafts has a selector fork over it. Check the nut on this one. You may need to put it in gear and stop the wheels moving to tighten it. If something is rubbing on the cover, there should be signs of wear on the inside of the cover. If you find this is the problem and it is jumping out of 5th, give me a shout and i'll tell you how I changed the 5th synchro ring.

pol