Clutch replacement - particularly difficult?

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Can tell where the 480 was built

Clutch replacement - particularly difficult?

Post by WillC9303 » Mon May 06, 2024 12:40 pm

Hi all,

My 100k mile clutch has started slipping when I pull away in 1st so it’s probably time for a new one.

Done some research and it seems to be a fairly general consensus that it’s a subframe and maybe engine out job on the 400 series.

Given that I don’t have an engine lift or any tools beyond ring spanner’s and a socket set, is this job realistically for a garage?

In favour of doing the job myself if possible!
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Clutch replacement - particularly difficult?

Post by jifflemon » Tue May 07, 2024 8:38 am

Well, You'd need a decent trolley Jack and axles stands as an absolute starting point.

You can lower the subframe on the NS, pop the OS inner driveshaft and pull the box enough to give you access.
Doable? Yes
Fun? Nope!

However..... I'd also be avoiding "mr clutch" or any of the generic clutch places. Quote cheap, then hit you with extras like "oh your flywheel needed skimming/expensive gearoil/CV boots needed doing" and they also typically only use recon clutches.

2 Litre clutches can be tricky to source too - Valeo 801616 is the kit,

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu May 09, 2024 3:36 pm

Jeff, I assume that you mean the inboard end of O/S ???

FWIW I managed to do this removal of either drive shaft, just wiggled the whole gearbox across towards the N/S (left side of car) with the engine supported by a hoist, but you could get away with holding the engine on trolley at flywheel end and hold gearbox on piece of timber and rope from above?

this is assuming that you ONLY change the plate and cover, leave flywheel alone.

actually easy enuf to get a ring spanner onto each clutch bolt one at a time, rotate the engine a wee bit to access the next bolt.

when refitting the clutch it was easy enough as didn't need to try and line it up with a spigot shaft
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu May 09, 2024 7:16 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:36 pm
Jeff, I assume that you mean the inboard end of O/S ???
Yeah, you can punch out the roll pins and not lose any oil.