Clutch cable adjustment

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ozturbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Clutch cable adjustment

Post by ozturbo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:02 am

I am posting this here in order to get more exposure as I need an answer quickly. I just had a new cable fitted by my Volvo guy because the bolt at the pedal end broke. The thing is that he has adjusted it so that the clutch lets off just up off the floor which makes it a pain to drive. He says that if it is adjusted so that it lets off about halfway the clutch pedal is higher than the brake pedal. When I first got the car the clutch was letting off very low and I tightened it up. My question is: does it matter if the pedal is high? It seems to be a not uncommon thing from what I can see on the site. In fact the mechanic said he has a 440 which also has a very low pedal and has exactly the same cable and pedal set up.
1990 Volvo 480 Turbo white
1988 Alfa 75 3 litre V6 red
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata 3 litre V6 black
1992 Alfa 164 3 litre V6 red
1981 Alfa GTV 2 litre red

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:55 am

Set it so you're happy with it, when I adjust clutches I ignore what the book says and just get it so it feels right to me, as long as you can still change gear properly and it doesn't slip when you put your foot down it's fine

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:22 am

I think it changes with clutch wear, cable stretch and things. I like it with a low biting point but cant seem to have it at the moment. Pedal sits higer now than it did and adjusting it low means the clutch is always engaged. Get used to it! unless its grinding then its not a problem, just what you're used to?

pol

shimon340
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by shimon340 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:43 pm

hi

if anyone knows how to tell the difference between what Haynes calls "early" and "late" clutch fork and cable holder types on the side of the box that would be really useful!!
i need to adjust my dads along with the gear linkage adjustment but its not clear which type he has. The "extra" part haynes talks of isnt easy to spot if you dont know which type you have!!

any ideas?

cheers

shimon

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:25 pm

Follow the end of the cable on the top of the gearbox. It attaches the fork which can either be a long or short type, the next point where it is connected to the gearbox, it will either be passing through an eylet sticking up on the gearbok casing, or through a bracket, which is connected to the same eyelet.

If you have the bracket (should be painted black) you have the later type, if you have just the eylet and no bracket, the earlier type.... I'm pretty sure it's that way around anyway.

pol

muddyfox470
480 Rookie

Post by muddyfox470 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:05 pm

hi (again)

after looking around I know my clutch will goo soon enough but I was wondering whether I could tighten the cable up just incase :)

I am guessing I need to put the car on a ramp and get under it to adjust it, but I was wondering how I would go about doing it. Is it a relatively simple thing to do? Is the bolt easily accesible?

The clutch at the moment is biting really high up, which is hard for me to get used to (and as a result I have stalled a few times as result :badmood: ) when I am changing between cars, so would like it a bit lower. However the pedal sits at about the right height at the moment.

Is anyone from around the Shropshire or Durham areas (yes I know they are two very different places) but is there anywhere around these that offer decent service at a decent price? I've heard of the guys up in Glasgow but I think thats a bit too far to travel.

Cheers

Ian

ps. i have 2 clutch/handbrake cables spare as the previous owner bought 2 new ones but they were changed over at the garage so he had these spare...
[url=http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/muddyfox470/480bilt/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,480ES,white,black.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/muddyfox470/480bilt/]'93 480ES 2litre - Steel Grey Metallic - 70k Miles - Bought March 07 :P[/url]
(Click for pictures :D )

Rikaitch
480 Newbie

Post by Rikaitch » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:56 pm

First of all, if you adjusted the cable on a ramp you'd have incredibly long arms. The adjustment is just under the bonnet.

To adjust the clutch cable, follow the cable to the front right of the engine bay, directly above where the engine and gearbox join. It's a long threaded bolt with a couple of nylon washers and a couple of metal washers, and a couple of nuts. Undo the first nut using a 10mm spanner, then tighten/loosen the second nut with the same spanner. When the clutch feels right, tighten the first nut back onto the second.
Currently on Volvo 440 number 4, and after scrapping my first 480, I will get another one when space/money allows it.

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:08 pm

To drop the bite point, loosen the cable.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

vins480t
Friend of Club 480 Europe
Location: Nw & St. Jland. . . Drives: a 960 . . . . On my mind: Baby in the car!

Post by vins480t » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:26 pm

loosen up will get the pedal higher so it can happen that you miss the pedal when in an accident.
V!nc!en[color=red][b]T[/b][/color]e