Another speedo question

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

deviliShred480
480 Rookie

Another speedo question

Post by deviliShred480 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:19 pm

Just had the soldering iron out and resoldered all the pins where the connectors join the pcb. I now have a working temperature gauge to go with the fuel gauge and tacho but.......

the speedo still doesn't work :angry:

May try resoldering the pins again as the first two I did were for the speedo so may not have been done very well. (Haven't had much use for a soldering iron since I left school twenty years ago so a bit rusty on technique). Or have I missed something else as I have only done the connector pins.

Anthing else that may have needed the attention of the iron or should I now be looking elsewhere to solve the problem. The speedo does still work occasionally, like this morning for about five minutes.

Thanks

Garry

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:08 pm

look at all the solder joints and redo any that look iffy. you may also find that you need to solder some of the connections between the big PCB and the MFU (The little PCB that comes off)
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

deviliShred480
480 Rookie

Post by deviliShred480 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:40 pm

Tried resoldering the first couple of pins. Went out after refitting the dash to give a go. It teased me for a couple of miles beore going on the blink again :cryhard:

Is it best to solder the joints on the pcb or mfu. Does this still apply to the anologue type gauges which I have or just info center types, there is a small pcb that comes off. Does this perorm similar functions as for infocenter types or is it totally different in operation.

Thanks

Garry

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:49 pm

Does this still apply to the anologue type gauges which I have or just info center types, there is a small pcb that comes off. Does this perorm similar functions as for infocenter types or is it totally different in operation.
I have absolutely no idea!

Do you mean you have no small pcb? i think the small pcb is just for the info centre types, and/but it appears on mine to be connected to the speedo circuit.

I should just resolder everything, y'know what volvo's wiring s like, if disconnecting the two red wires for the radio kills the info centre, god knows what needs to be connected for the speedo!!
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

deviliShred480
480 Rookie

Post by deviliShred480 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:58 pm

There is a small pcb but not sure if it performs the same functions. Couldn't see anything that relates to the speedo but then I am no expert. I'll try and trace the circuits when I next have the dash out

Murf

Post by Murf » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:16 pm

aw shit!! :angry:
sorry, i totally forgot to tell you how to fix your analogue gauges!!!!
sounds like you got it sorted anyway!!

i had the same problem with my speedo and it turned out (after much wailing and gnashing of teeth) that it was the actual sensor on the gearbox that was the problem.

it is, however a nightmare to get to and remove but fortunately i found that by tapping it with the tip of a very long screwdriver brought it back to like and it has worked fine ever since!!

sensor is on drivers side at the bottom of the gearbox, haynes will show you where it is better!!
sorry again!!!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

deviliShred480
480 Rookie

Post by deviliShred480 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:09 am

I am glad you have told me where to find the sensor as the more I look the less sure I am of where it is especially as the Haynes manual shows it so well!! I think they only say it's on the right of the engine and never say which which way you are looking at it from. I can only cope with driver and passenger side, never been sure about nearside/offside even.

Thanks again

Garry

turnac
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by turnac » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:17 pm

Check the fusebox.. It sounds a bit stupid but it was the fuse which caused me all the problems with speedo and dashboard
turnac @ RIP '93 480 S-type; Vase green (bloody hood remained matt)