Dim dipped headlight (and running light)

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

robdean
480 Newbie

Dim dipped headlight (and running light)

Post by robdean » Tue May 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Our driver's side dipped headlight is dim, and the same-side running light seems dim too. Full beam not dim. Have wiggled fuses and the main switch on the steering column. Oh (edit) have changed bulbs too. I'd really welcome any bright ideas (pun intended, sorry)... I never could understand this stuff...

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Dim dipped headlight (and running light)

Post by glasgowjim » Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 pm

First

Main beams both ok
driver side dip beam very dim

Is the DRL bulb ok and is its socket not corroded ?

easy check take the front clusters out and switch over the drl bulb holder adn bulbs from one side to the other. This will remove a number of possiblities .

next get a multi meter and check on voltage and currents (use 10A setting on meter).
let us know of your results it may well be a faulty wire or possibily the dip dim relay thats dying amongst other things.

keep me appraised of the steps you have taken and we can solve this problem ;)

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Tue May 17, 2011 10:08 pm

What he said up there :wink:

Presumably the same light is dim when youre on 'side lights' (the first position of the rotary switch after the popups popup) as well?
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

robdean
480 Newbie

Post by robdean » Wed May 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks folks.

DRL bulb was initially blown, replaced before I posted the results above. Driver dipped beam was afflicted as it is now before & after DRL replaced.
The old DRL bulb was a beast to remove, that corrosion/welding you get beween different metals. Lots of WD40 & a couple of cut fingers (yes, it shattered). Main bulb & socket seemed fine.

Dumb questions:
I guess I test voltage with the bulb out of circuit, just across the terminals?
Same with current?
I have no clue which terminal is which in the bulb socket. I can research it, but if anyone can offer a pointer it'd be really handy.

And to be Xtra dumb - re. the Captain's question, is the 'sidelights' position likely the second photo above? Darn, I'll have to go and check, my mind has turned to mush. But I guess there may be a clue (to the wise, not to me) in the fact that the DRL bulb is dim as well as the dipped. In the second photo I think the bulb is lit, but you'd have to press your eyeball against the lamp to see it.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help and also the reassuring words from GJ,
R