Info center - ground wire

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

JJ
480 Newbie

Info center - ground wire

Post by JJ » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:34 pm

Hello all,

the info center in my 86 V480 ES gave up yesterday :-( The backlight is on, but that is all. No data whatsoever. So I went thru the schematics and thru the forum and found out that this is sometimes caused by grounding problem.

I removed the instrument panel and looked for the yellow wire. I believe I found it on the pin 3 of connector marked as "I" in the documentation and it appears to have no connection to the ground/mass. There is one more wire - yellow/white, which *does* have connection to the ground, but I believe the yellow one is correct, right?

And although I have been staring at the documentation for some time, I still cannot figure out where the grounding point for that yellow wire is. It is marked G-C1 in the documentation, it should be somewhere near the relay box in the bottom-left corner of the windshield, but I have not been able to locate it on the vehicle. Where does that damn wire go?

I have also checked all the cables and pins on the MFU, the Info center controller etc and they appear to be fine. I will however appreciate any hints or ideas on potential causes of my problems in case it is not the wiring.

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Funny (or better: sad) - I have exactly the same problem in my 1995 Turbo as of today... It seems that the light behind the info center is actually working, but absolutely no data on the display, not after 'gently' tapping the dashboard or the cluster, nor restarting, nor fooling around with ignition on/of/on/of... Nothing...

Will keep focused on this thread with great interest :)
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

JJ
480 Newbie

Post by JJ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:20 am

Can you remove the cluster and check, whether the yellow wire is grounded?

I am stuck in Czech republic, so I will probably have to see the local Volvo dealer and hope they still have the documentation etc.

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Post by Matthew Brennan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:54 pm

Mine went this morning same as u guys, backlit but NOTHING on CEM. It had been re-setting iself (still is) when i accerated or braked a lot but today it was totally blanj. After much fiddling with the dash, i went in the engine bay and pressed tightly together every connection I could find under bonet.

It worked straight away (well it still re-sets). Worth a go for you guys maybee?

Matt

JJ
480 Newbie

Post by JJ » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:28 pm

Will try tomorrow after I have removed over one foot of snow we got today.

When going thru the schematics, I also realized that cutting the IGN wire on the radio connector could have something to do with this, although I believe there was just one cable on that pin.

JJ
480 Newbie

Post by JJ » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:49 pm

Problem fixed. It was really the thin red wire that runs from the radio connector back to the MFU. I cut it while installing the computer and relocating the radio.

I am really surprised and shocked. I would never think about powering something as important as the info center thru the same fuse as radio, lighter etc., not to mention running the wire to the radio connector.

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Post by Matthew Brennan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:52 pm

I had often hear tales about fitting stereo's killing CEM/Speedo! I think I will check mine tomorrow. Glad yours is sorted.