Speedo does not work

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Korpiklaani
480 Newbie

Speedo does not work

Post by Korpiklaani » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:52 pm

First of all, greetings from Germany, Hi there.

I just bought my new 480 ES.
When I was driving it, the speedo did not work. After a few kilometres, I got over a hillock and the speedo worked for about 70 kilometres, no matter if there was any hillock or whatever. Then it broke down again. Hitting the whole thing, it worked again, but broke down a few minutes later. Ever since the damn thing does not give any sign of working. I removed it and checked the wires, but they were all connected properly, so I put it back and tried again, but it did bot work...

So I bought a new one and installed it. Hoping it would work that time I was disappinted. Nothing. The r.p.m.-unit works as well as the board computer. Pf course the B.C. cannot count properly what my car consumpts. Clear, if speedo does not work.

So we removed the whole thing again and checked all the wires and connections, but there is no rust or something whcih could prevent proper connectivity.

In my eyes the broken thing must be something behind the speedo itself, because it actually worked when I hit it.

I am so desperate now.....please guys, help me^^

Rytis
480 Newbie

Post by Rytis » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:50 pm

The 480s have an electrical speedo ant its sensor is located in the gearbox... Revs come from main CPU, so they remain on, but mileage and speed do not work as the sensor does not respond.

I have read here in the forum about this problem - try browsing...!
It can be easily sold i think
Cheers,
Rytis
V480 collection no. 228
Lithuanian Volvo 480 club @ www.volvo480.lt !

reynolds_p1
480 Rookie

Post by reynolds_p1 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:43 pm

try moving the connections around at the back this usually works, if not take the clocks out, clean the contacts and re-fit.

9/10 times this will cure it.

:D
No longer in a 480!

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:03 pm

Hi and welcome!

If you use the search function you should be able to retrieve a lot of info. It basically comes down to removing the instrument cluster from the dashboard and clean all connectors on the back. There is also a vertically aligned line of a couple of metal pins on the back, try cleaning these pins as well (there is nothing attached to these pins from the outside, only from the inside... Anyone who can explain better perhaps?
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

Korpiklaani
480 Newbie

Post by Korpiklaani » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:48 pm

Ok...after having checked all sensors and stuff, we have come to the conclusion that the problem is due to the wires. We will make a bypass right from the sensor to the speedo, i checked the plans and hopefully this will do. Thank you nevertheless ;)

Williewammes
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Williewammes » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:12 am

Got excactly the same prob on my 480. Looked like it was just fooling with me. Everytime I would say something stupid about the car it started to fail on the speedo :-P

Anyway, checked the connection, putted some contact spray in it and cleaned them. Still no good.

Only possibility remaining is a problem with the wires, but where to start?

Hoping to check it this evening. It is starting to piss me off now.
Greets,

Williewammes

Volvo 480 turbo Paris bleu metallic 1992.
Volvo 480 turbo Grey metallic 1987

Check: www.wdesignonline.tk

levin
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by levin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:53 am

Hi,

I have a similar problem!

Yesterday I went to get my 480. I did a 400kms trip and everything was working (rpm, kmh, kms done since refuel) but today, when I was driving, i noticed that everything works (rpm, and how fast I am going) but it doesn't COUNT the kms. Imagine, the car had 106360kms, and it sits there. Doesn't count the kms nor the thing that we usually press after refueling.

I'm kinda confused, how does the SPEEDO work but it doesn't count the kms?!???

Help is appreciated...

Cheers
[img]http://jdmtech.net/levin/imagens/assinatura.jpg[/img]

[size=75]
My Volvo 480
[b]Name[/b]: Volverine // [b]Type[/b]: TURBO // [b]Year[/b]: 1989 // [b]Colour[/b]: Black Metallic // [b]Engine[/b]: B18FT (1.7), Manual // [b]Mods[/b]: Pollux Black Metallic; Voodoo III MBC[/size]

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:56 am

levin wrote:I'm kinda confused, how does the SPEEDO work but it doesn't count the kms?!???

Help is appreciated...

Cheers
Simple, when you reset km counter while driving it's easy to break sprocket in speedo. Take it out open and look for some broken plastic.
no car, why drive a car if you can fly SAAB
Previous:
-Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi '93 LPG powered
-'92 480 ES red 'Sports Edition'
-'87 480 ES red
pics>>> http://photobucket.com/albums/v304/mayah480/

levin

Post by levin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:17 pm

Milosz_480 wrote:
levin wrote:I'm kinda confused, how does the SPEEDO work but it doesn't count the kms?!???

Help is appreciated...

Cheers
Simple, when you reset km counter while driving it's easy to break sprocket in speedo. Take it out open and look for some broken plastic.
And how can I fix it?

Cheers

[size=75]
My Volvo 480
[b]Name[/b]: Volverine // [b]Type[/b]: TURBO // [b]Year[/b]: 1989 // [b]Colour[/b]: Black Metallic // [b]Engine[/b]: B18FT (1.7), Manual // [b]Mods[/b]: Pollux Black Metallic; Voodoo III MBC[/size]

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:44 pm

levin wrote:
And how can I fix it?

Cheers
By glueing sprockets or by changing them.
I know it's a common problem in V 700 and 850 series.
BTW. show us your turbo!
Previous:
-'87 480 ES red

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:50 pm

When my speedo stopped working I just resoldered all the connections for the plugs on the brown circuit board. Never had a problem since. Ever so simple job - I think I did it one morning before work and took about 30 minutes and that included stripping the dash. Go on have a go!
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:34 pm

guitarcarfanatic wrote:When my speedo stopped working I just resoldered all the connections for the plugs on the brown circuit board. Never had a problem since. Ever so simple job - I think I did it one morning before work and took about 30 minutes and that included stripping the dash. Go on have a go!
His speedo is also working but it doesn't count kilometers
Previous:
-'87 480 ES red

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:30 pm

Oh right. Mmmmh try checking all the connections on the small circuit board which sits inside the speedo housing. Check all the connections for breakages although I *think* that it is manipulated by cogs which are turned by the electric speedo cog but then I had the dash from a VW apart the other day so I could be getting confused! I will have a check later on a scrap dash I have which has broken pins. The speedo should still be complete!!!
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

levin

Post by levin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:28 pm

guitarcarfanatic wrote:Oh right. Mmmmh try checking all the connections on the small circuit board which sits inside the speedo housing. Check all the connections for breakages although I *think* that it is manipulated by cogs which are turned by the electric speedo cog but then I had the dash from a VW apart the other day so I could be getting confused! I will have a check later on a scrap dash I have which has broken pins. The speedo should still be complete!!!
Yes, check it please.

It's irritating not seeing the kms go....grr...

Milosz, I will show the car in a few days ;)

[size=75]
My Volvo 480

levin

Post by levin » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:51 pm

levin wrote:
guitarcarfanatic wrote:Oh right. Mmmmh try checking all the connections on the small circuit board which sits inside the speedo housing. Check all the connections for breakages although I *think* that it is manipulated by cogs which are turned by the electric speedo cog but then I had the dash from a VW apart the other day so I could be getting confused! I will have a check later on a scrap dash I have which has broken pins. The speedo should still be complete!!!
Yes, check it please.

It's irritating not seeing the kms go....grr...

Milosz, I will show the car in a few days ;)
Just found out how to FIX the SPEEDO!

First, you have to go to this site and order the DODGE tooth gear (20 tooth), it's exactly the same as the 480 one.

http://www.odometergears.com/subpages/chrydod.html

And secondly, go to this site and see how to change it (it's similar to the 480)

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/odometer_fix.php

Hope its useful!

Maybe I should create a topic on this.

keywords for the search engine:

odometerfix odometer speedometer toothgear tooth gear

[size=75]
My Volvo 480