squeeking alternator belt on startup

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Williewammes
Knows where Volvo is from

squeeking alternator belt on startup

Post by Williewammes » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:17 am

I know this topic isn't new, but I have an anoying thing going on with my alternator belt. When I start the car up, the alternator belt will start squeeking. It only does it when you drive away or use an electronic device wich needs alot of power.
After a few squeeks it won't be heard untill the next cold start.
It's also pretty loud, looks like a dozen of cats getting crushed :?

I replaced both of the belts (alternator and power steering etc.) and I don't have the idea that the belts must be tightend more, while they are allready pretty tight. (the one for power steering must be more tight)

There's also the problem that the car loses a lot of batterypower over night so ti probably needs a lot of power from the alternator at startup.

Does anybody have experience with this? Any ideas

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:39 am

It's also pretty loud, looks like a dozen of cats getting crushed
Classic quote of the week! :lol:

Maybe the pullys are worn? , as for the battery loss view this http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/for ... ht=battery

good luck dude
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Williewammes

Post by Williewammes » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:52 am

Jow,

I'll check the whole electrical system for power leaks. is the only way to find out.
Maybe it's the alarm wich is causing the leak. One of my door sensors is broken, but I don't know if this wil cause power leak.

Luckely I'm using the car every day so it wil start without problems, but you can hear that the starter engine can't reach it's maximum output.

Anyway, I'll let you know when it's solved. It will probably, All the previous problems (challenges) have been solved thanks to this forum :wave:

And for the alternator, I have a spare one, so I'll replace it and see what hapens. Not a nice job thow, little room under the bonnet, cold environment :scared:, and little time

The search continuous........

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by stu chacks » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:15 pm

As Mart, sounds like the pulleys if only from cold. Mine did exactly the same around 70k, changed the cambelt and tensioner/pulley and not heard a squeak since.

Stu.

Williewammes

Post by Williewammes » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:34 am

Guys,

Replaced the alternator yesterday, Tommorow, what a peacefull sound. Not a sound, only that of the engine.

Looks like it was the pulley indeed. While I had a spare alternator, I thought it was easier replacing the whole thing than just taking the pulley off. It was pretty well attached and couldn't loosen it.

Anyway, one happy 480 driver here. by the way, the neighbours are happy too :lol:

So, thanks again, you were right again.
Greets,

Williewammes

Volvo 480 turbo Paris bleu metallic 1992.
Volvo 480 turbo Grey metallic 1987

Check: www.wdesignonline.tk