Electrical problem

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

DasBoot
480 Newbie

Electrical problem

Post by DasBoot » Mon May 09, 2005 5:14 pm

Ok, my english ain't the best but here we go. My mothers 480turbo from 88 has a major electrical problem.
1.The "pop up lights" dosen't flipp down.
2. When i turn on the half lights the fan dosent work, the rear lights dosent work? What can be wrong?

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Post by Matthew Brennan » Mon May 09, 2005 5:33 pm

Hi mate

Here goes...

1. Check the fuses, if both lights wont go up/down it is less likley to be the motors and more likley to be something like a fuse/wiring. Do the lights (bulbs not the up/down motor) go on and off properly when u change the lights from the inside of the car:

i.e. does it go from: lights not up to-> lights up (sidelights) to-> lights up dip/full headlights?

I dont know what difference that would mean :D but i'm sure lots of peeps on here will so its good to put stuff like that down.

2. First things to check are the earths i guess. Check the earth strap is bolted to good metal not rust. Perhaps take it off clean up both serfaces and then re-fit all nice and new looking with a really good contact. Then check for short circuits. Any other detailsl like if it hapopens in the wet etc etc?

Hope i have not been to basic i am at a very basic level myself mate. Good luck fixing the fault.

Cheers

Matt

DasBoot
480 Newbie

Post by DasBoot » Mon May 09, 2005 6:07 pm

The lights works but they wont go up/down.

SanPhire
480 Rookie

Post by SanPhire » Mon May 09, 2005 8:51 pm

The bonnet catch has a micro-switch in it that tells the computer (CEM) if the bonnet has been closed or not.

Is it possible that is faulty?

If the car thinks the bonnet is open, it stops the fan working and it stops the pop-up headlights from going up/down.

To check: does the alarm arm itself when you lock the car?
Greta - 1994 2.0 480 GT
Herbie - 1972 1.3 VW Beetle Deluxe
Kochanski - 1982 1.7 340 GLE - Gone, but not forgotten

Bramdeman
480 Expert

Post by Bramdeman » Tue May 10, 2005 1:15 pm

The warning light for an open door on the dash should blink if the car thinks the hood is open. And the fan will work with the hood open BTW.

Maybe something is wrong with the white lights next to the indicators i've heard of people having problems with the popups if the wrong bulbs are fitted

A non working fan us usaully becouse the thermostat in the radiotor doesn't work.
'99 C70 2,3 T5 LPI Full option!
'98 V70 2.5Turbo LPI aircon ice etc etc <---Wrecked, she saved my life
'82 Porsche 928S 300HP 4,6V8 (scary)
'89 Red Turbo All Fixed up SOLD
'90 ES Lavender Metallic Automatic
'93 Two Tone Turbo!! Beauty! daily driver
'92 Red ES automatic
'88 340 1,7 Project car

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by gerrsvolvo » Tue May 17, 2005 5:40 am

Can the headlamps be turned up by hand?
If so.
Than check the electrics.
And check the switches for the lighting in the dashboard first after you checked teh fuses.
You have to check three switches. The round knob, the left stalk and (surprise) the righthand stalk on the steeringcolumm.
Do not forget to check the relays.
Good luck
Gerrsvolvo