Whats that relay for ?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jk
480 Newbie

Whats that relay for ?

Post by jk » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:37 pm

So, I decided to get the central locking system to work, and after having tested both motors and found out they were ok, I decided to go for the CEM to give it a good rattle and shake.
The CEM in my car turned out to be quite hard to get to, and in the process of getting to it I suddenly noticed a relay foot (don't know the real word for it - it's the piece with the connectors you put a relay into) sticking out of the trim just beside my clutch pedal.
I've been looking through some technical manuals for the 480 which I obtained, but no mention of that relay anywhere.

Does anyone know what it is for - could it possibly be for the central locking system? :dunno:

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:07 pm

I'm guessing its either yellow or red?

If yellow, i think you have an ES. Its for the aux water pump on the turbo
If Red, i think you have a turbo, and its for the aux water pump for the ES. (they are both wired differently)
They left both holders on the loom, and put them in the relay box depending on which engine was fitted.

Unless... take the relay cover off, and see if any holders are missing.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto