Intermittent info centre

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

gentlegiant
480 Newbie

Intermittent info centre

Post by gentlegiant » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:43 am

Well, I've had the "new" 480 Celebration 9 months now and it's been a joy, as expected! Just recently though the info centre (just the lit up circle bit with the fuel gauge, engine temp, averages etc) has come on intermittently with apparently no cause. When it's on it works as normal. I'm guessing, therefore, it's a faulty connection...? Any ideas how I can cure it? (Also on the way home just now everything on it lit at the same time briefly... guessing it's connected to the intermittent issue...) All help greatly appreciated!

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Intermittent info centre

Post by doingitsideways » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:28 pm

I find swearing at it works best! :angry:

Mine does exactly the same from time to time.

I've tried cleaning all the contacts with limited success, but the problem lies with knackered transistors etc in the back of the unit.

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:22 pm

gentlegiant wrote:Well, I've had the "new" 480 Celebration 9 months now and it's been a joy, as expected! Just recently though the info centre (just the lit up circle bit with the fuel gauge, engine temp, averages etc) has come on intermittently with apparently no cause. When it's on it works as normal. I'm guessing, therefore, it's a faulty connection...? Any ideas how I can cure it? (Also on the way home just now everything on it lit at the same time briefly... guessing it's connected to the intermittent issue...) All help greatly appreciated!

Ok can you be more specific and detailed about the fault please before we can make a suggestion as to how it can fixed.

Ulrika480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Ulrika480 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Give up now, before its too late...

In all seriousness, I replaced the circuit board and info centre (brand new, old stock) and now it all lights up but the calculations are all a bit wonky.
I've settled for the lights working along with the fuel bar gauge - that's good enough!

Good luck !

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Ulrika480 wrote:Give up now, before its too late...

In all seriousness, I replaced the circuit board and info centre (brand new, old stock) and now it all lights up but the calculations are all a bit wonky.
I've settled for the lights working along with the fuel bar gauge - that's good enough!

Good luck !
Ooff... I bet that hurt like a kick in the nuts...or...erm...childbirth!!

Brand new (well, kind of) and it still plays up?!

I don't wanna know what you paid, but I remember hearing that list price for one brand new was £720... Someone would have lost quite a lot of blood by now, and have no kneecaps! :nuts:

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

gentlegiant
480 Newbie

Post by gentlegiant » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:05 pm

Well, it's not done it again for a while. It was cutting out on the right hand side altogether, but seems to have settled down. The only residual symptom seems to be that the "headlights on" light (the green light on the dash to the left) doesn't work anymore. Probably just a fuse, but could be connected to the prior issue? Meanwhile I've just been tackling a boot issue where if I operated the driver's boot-release lever the tailgate wouldn't close properly afterwards. Took it apart and strengthened the mechanism with some elastic, which worked a treat. However, the little boot light is constantly on (as it was before, so at least I've not made it worse!) Any suggestions as to why it doesn't turn off when the boot is closed?

travelman
Started learning about 480

Post by travelman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:51 pm

My info centre started that way,then eventually died altogether.That was over 4 months ago and I am still trying to find out why it does not work.It seems almost anything can upset them.It can be a dead info centre,but usually I think the fault lies elsewhere.I have tried fitting two more info centres in as replacements,which I have seen working in the donor vehicles,but still as dead as a Dodo in mine.Have tried all the various remedies offered in these forums,but still without success.When I have time will go through the live wires and earth wires to check that all are working.There is a live feed to the unit somewhere as the light will illuminate,but that is all.
So hope your unit continues to behave,or you could be in for a bit of head scratching! Any new remedies gratefully received-sensible ones that is!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:57 pm

just do a quick check that the VERY bright bulb is present :-)

if bulb blown then the information centre is THERE but NOT visible, guess how I know?

I fitted the WRONG wattage and is VERY dim (no use in summer), the correct bulb is a halogen? but does fry the PCB and so maybe that is cause of problem NOT all the other wires.

Headlamp main beam warning light will probably just be an iffy contact where the multi plug fits, it IS an MoT fail :-(
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:12 pm

could even be a blown bulb on instrument pod for the headlamps

gentlegiant
480 Newbie

Post by gentlegiant » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks guys. Just had its MOT and it passed no problem, so I'm guessing they didn't appreciate the headlight dashboard light not working...? Fingers crossed the info centre continues to do its job - I'll admit to being a little in fear of them, knowing their reputations. For the record I'm loving my celebration now - had the 480 es for 6/7 years before this one and loved it into the ground. Hoping the "upgrade" does me just as well. Used it as the wedding car for my brother's wedding a couple of weeks ago - performed beautifully.