Horn alarm?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

random_monkey
480 Newbie

Horn alarm?

Post by random_monkey » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:37 pm

Howdy

I'd just finished replacing the bulb in my car's ('89 ES) headlight this morning , and when I opened my (unlocked) car, the horn sounded (continuous honk).

I never got in the car, but shut the door
So uh, it did it again when I opened it the 2nd time >.>

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew how the hell the alarm /works/ on these older models. I can't seem to find anything in the Haynes' manual about disconnecting it, or setting it not to go off - ever...

Anyone got any experience with this, and is it all faulty since it went off as the car was unlocked?
rm
[img]http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5650/wedgiepixbf7.png[/img]
Wedgie: [b]1989 480 ES[/b] - Red (Just)

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:49 pm

Hi mate.

The alarm works on the unlocking/locking of the car. I can only assume the micro switch thinks the car is locked when it's unlocked! Just lock the car and then un lock it. Hopefully it should be fine now. If it does go off, locking and unlocking the car will turn it off.

Good luck mate,

Rob
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by stu chacks » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:12 pm

If you leave the car unlocked, but with the doors closed for a while (not sure exact time) the alarm sets itself. Then if you just open the door without firstly locking and unlocking it using the key, the alarm goes off.

Noisy isn't it! lol :lol:

Stu.

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:19 pm

Did you open it from the drivers side or passanger side? Alarm goes off if you unlock and open the passanger side

2001 V70

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:26 pm

volvo-bigbrother wrote:Did you open it from the drivers side or passanger side? Alarm goes off if you unlock and open the passanger side
Shouldn't do. Unlocking the passenger door disables the alarm! Just doesnt unlock the drivers door.

Previously...

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:27 pm

Not what I've heard or experienced

2001 V70

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:47 pm

Mmmhh. Maybe micro sensor fault? Should disable the alarm. Just been out changing a few bulbs myself (bloody welsh weather means it's a full on storm outside!!) and went in through the passenger door.

Previously...

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:08 pm

Welsh wheather? I thought you were in Somerset

2001 V70

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:16 pm

During term time I'm based in Pontypridd, just outside Cardiff at the University of Glamorgan. It was sunny this mornng though...go to make a cup of tea and the skys open two minutes later! It just comes on so quickly!

Previously...

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:18 pm

Thats all it seems to be doing this week, just rain, rain, rain, rain. Bet it will be ice next. Just hope its a little better for the Meeting

Say why doing you pop up for the Meeting? Not to far away compared to the distance I usually travel for meetings

Ad

2001 V70

Macaroon
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by Macaroon » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:37 pm

volvo-bigbrother wrote:Did you open it from the drivers side or passanger side? Alarm goes off if you unlock and open the passanger side
As Rob says, it definitely shouldn't do that - that would just be plain daft!

However, if you unlock the passenger door and enter that way (ooh, madam!) you will have only disarmed the pasenger side alarm. If you then open the drivers door from the inside and the horn will go off scaring the sh1t out of you and any passers-by... :lol:

I reckon you must have a faulty alarm, Ad. Don't know what to suggest apart from checking error codes with the engine bay diagnostic unit.

Rich

(Diagnostic code tables are in Daniël's excellent, updated FAQ for anyone who doesn't know).
Tonee: '93 Two Tone. High mileage but nice 'n' tidy.
Sheba: '91 ES Paris Special. Love that leather, baby. Scrapped and used as a spares car.

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:39 pm

Macaroon wrote:
As Rob says, it definitely shouldn't do that - that would just be plain daft!

However, if you unlock the passenger door and enter that way (ooh, madam!) you will have only disarmed the pasenger side alarm. If you then open the drivers door from the inside and the horn will go off scaring the sh1t out of you and any passers-by... :lol:

I reckon you must have a faulty alarm, Ad. Don't know what to suggest apart from checking error codes with the engine bay diagnostic unit.

Rich

(Diagnostic code tables are in Daniël's excellent, updated FAQ for anyone who doesn't know).
This is also quite bizarre. When the car is unlocked form the passenger side the micro switch tells the CEM that the car has been opened by the key and to disarm the alarm. You can then (I can...) open the locked drivers door and no alarm sounds as it has been disabled. Maybe this is different on later cars as all mine have had this...

Try unlocking the car on the drivers side, and then locking the car on the passengers side. Now open the drivers door (still unlocked) and the alarm should sound.

I can't see why volvo would change this. I am also thinking about getting a passengers side (their passengrs so our drivers) side door lock motor from a car on the continent so I could have it rigged up that both doors would unlock when the car was unlocked via the passengers door. I think the wiring is still there as well although I'm not 100% sure. Might go and crack open a door at a scrappie and find out.

Cheers,

Rob

Previously...

Macaroon
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by Macaroon » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:12 pm

guitarcarfanatic wrote:When the car is unlocked form the passenger side the micro switch tells the CEM that the car has been opened by the key and to disarm the alarm. You can then (I can...) open the locked drivers door and no alarm sounds as it has been disabled. Maybe this is different on later cars as all mine have had this...

Try unlocking the car on the drivers side, and then locking the car on the passengers side. Now open the drivers door (still unlocked) and the alarm should sound.
Errrm, actually you are probably right, Rob. I'm rather hung over today and likely to get a little confused hehe. :? :oops:

More likely than not I was thinking of the scenario you describe. Anyway I'll check it out on my car and report back.

Rich
Sheba: '91 ES Paris Special. Love that leather, baby. Scrapped and used as a spares car.

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:15 pm

Well I don't have any need to unlock the car with the key as the car has a CAT 1 alarm with remote central locking, comes in very handy. I really want the remote start kit but would have to remove the CAT 1 to install it

2001 V70

Macaroon
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by Macaroon » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:21 am

volvo-bigbrother wrote:Alarm goes off if you unlock and open the passanger side
You talking about your CAT1 alarm here, Ad, or the Volvo one connected to the horn? The volvo one should function as Rob described but yer aftermarket one could behave differently when the passenger door is unlocked depending how it was fitted, I suppose.

Remote start kit is incredibly cool and massively impressive - but fairly pointless. Especially if you live on a *hill and have to park in gear... :lol:

Doesn't stop me wanting one though.

(* you must have a few of those in Wales, or is it all just valleys? ;) )

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:26 am

I am talking about the Volvo alarm. There are lots of hills here but where I live its is a flat road ;)

2001 V70

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:07 am

guitarcarfanatic wrote:Unlocking the passenger door disables the alarm!
Here's how mine works...

Locking the passenger door with the key disables the alarm, unlocking it arms the bloody thing

Annoying it is...

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

Brasco
480 Is my middle name

Post by Brasco » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:34 am

N.B> Jim does have a magic aura that follows him around turning everthing the wrong way. Until he looked in Suddy's engine bay, the struts were the right way around. This is also the reason he has a reliable Fiat Tipo.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/myelan3.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400024rip-1.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/fc85e36c.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400044-1.jpg[/img]

Macaroon
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by Macaroon » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:58 am

Jim, that is plain weird. Does your TT come from a parallel universe where everything is the reverse of this one? Did you drive it through a mirror once? Seen any march hares lately? :lol:

OK I checked my alarm today (not so hung over) and it works as Rob decribed. :D Mind you, being a 480, it could be different evry time you try it. :lol:

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:24 am

Amen! Once it just went off in the night. I unlocked it, locked it and it's never done it since. Top Banana!

Previously...