Car wont start suspect fuel pump - HELP!

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Car wont start suspect fuel pump - HELP!

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:13 pm

mallory_roxx wrote:Thank you all. This morning she was all ready to take me on an adventure to Yorkshire to find waterfalls! ...For the first time in my car owning life (just under 20 years and probably 25 cars...I used to get bored easily!) She won't start. :cryhard: Weekend adventure ruined. Well, it'll turn over, I wish it was as simple as the battery. I don't think the fuels getting through. It feels like that. Also, for the first time, I don't have breakdown cover so it would cost me over £100 to get it towed in as, this weekend, everyone in the world I know is away! Anyway, I just rang around, out of interest, if it was the fuel pump, how much I'm looking at....I wouldn't get much change from £300 for the pump alone so, it could be the graveyard soon. Can't get in to a garage until Wednesday so, we'll see how it goes.....Holding fire on the seatbelt situation for now.....Watch this space...or rather, the spares/repairs thread. :cry:

check simple things first, is their a spark from teh dizzy when you pull the king lead off and place it near the block?

spare spark plug is handy , if not whip out a plug and use that, when plug is out you can tell if fuel is getting ina s if soo it will stink of raw petrol.

also if you DO have fuel and no spark have a wee wiggle at the connector for crankshaft sensor, on bell housing.
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: WANTED - Driver's Seat Belt Parts.

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:29 pm

It could be something simple:

but first what is the MY (manufacturing year) of the car 1992 later or earlier OR what is the first letter on your registration .
OR do you have a 26 or 32 fusebox => this one is easy just open the fusebox and with a compact mirror check the biggest fuse position number it will be 26 or 32. Post up and then we can really get started on this .

Oh by the way a second hand fuel pump motor is not expensive you are looking at about £20 to £30 probably jamesy12345 could supply one as he is breaking up a 480 just now.

Oh anabout an hour of a mechanics time (well they probably havent worked on a 480 before :D

£300 rubbish :kill:

I tell you exactly what to do and how to tell if its the fuel pump but I would go with Alan's ideas first. I can also give you a step back step instruction guide as I had to change the fuel pump on mine early last year. it is an easy jog . Just dont smoke while you are doing it :bla:

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Wow, thanks for all of your help! All I have to do now is figure out where all of these bits are.....and set forth with such diagnostics. Very willing and able...just need to learn...fast. Mini Instructional videos welcome! I can change wheels, bulbs and other chick stuff but, under the bonnet, I'm pretty much limited to oil and water! I know... :cry:

Oh, it's a 1990 ES. 26 Fuse.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:51 pm

mallory_roxx wrote:Wow, thanks for all of your help! All I have to do now is figure out where all of these bits are.....and set forth with such diagnostics. Very willing and able...just need to learn...fast. Mini Instructional videos welcome! I can change wheels, bulbs and other chick stuff but, under the bonnet, I'm pretty much limited to oil and water! I know... :cry:

Oh, it's a 1990 ES.
as Jim says check fuses FIRST. 2litre / 1800? NA or Turbo?

then to confirm fuel pump IS running. turn off heater blower/radio etc.

now when you turn the key you SHOULD hear the fuel pump running for 2 -3 seconds when you INITIALLY turn the key, then it stops. wait until this whirring stops before attempting to start, this is the pump priming the injectors. I'd not bother undoing any fuel lines initially as they can be a real pain to get back on.

if fuse is OK and NO whirring there are a pair of relays hang INSIDE the car up near the steering mount, only seen when lying upsdie down with your head at brake/clutch pedals. these are the fuel pump relays and if fails then NO fuel

you need THREE things for engine to run:-
fuel, check for wet plugs

spark, check with a known GOOD plug jammed onto block, (don't hold it, you WILL jump :-) ) get assistant to turn the key and watch!!! (you can test each plug lead in turn if you want but a plug onto the main lead is faster :)

air, if other two are OK, try opening the throttle very slightly as it could be the idle valve, not likley but possible

as an aside maybe start a new thread or get a moderator to shift all of saturday's post onto a new thread, in 'Engine' section? Jim?
Alan

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Re: Car wont start suspect fuel pump - HELP!

Post by edie_fox » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Righty. I left it alone yesterday. I've gone out and opened it up to the air and sun (it always seems to be letting water in in few places! Driver footwell mostly). I've started it and left it idle. This will go for nearly a minute before dropping out. I've also started it and tried it around 2000rpm. Both just drop out to nothing eventually.
Is even attempting to adjust the idle worth it? It's the B18E engine. It's 26 years old, non turbo. Done 93k with full Volvo service history for each year and one owner. She's looked after it but since it's been with me it obviously gets a lot more use and I just feel like it might have been too much all at once! Poor girl!
All I have is a manual and my hands! I don't have any tools as we're currently between homes in holiday accommodation.
I can maybe get it towed in on Wednesday but thought I'd just update that it will start and run (would it do either of those things with fuel pump/plug/fuse issues?) and see if anyone thought of anything else I could check?
Thanks again.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:46 pm

It is definitely not the fuel pump otherwise it would just not start.

As a matter of interest remove the fuel cap and start the engine up and see if it comes to a standstill again.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:43 am

Righty. It was the fuel pump relay. It had got wet and started to corrode so that's why it would start sometimes and not others. I have water coming in though somewhere near the front pedals. I have have a sizeable 'hole' in the bodywork at the top right corner of the windscreen on the roof.....this could possibly travelling down? I never actually see it happen, I just get in and sometimes the footwell is wet.
When I start the car, I hear a noise as if there's water being swished about in a metal container behind the dash/centre....the car is just stationary at this point.

Now I have a new problem. The idle did seem a little low but now, since the relay was replaced (and he said he'd moved them so the water wasn't flowing over them now!), 8 out of 10 times I start the car or put my clutch down for coming to a junction/standstill/corner the car cuts out...obviously losing the power steering with it which is a bit of a danger as it's ridiculously heavy to turn the wheel without it.
Again.....can anyone pin-point this problem? This one seems a bit more of a straightforward one...if you're not me and you know how!
Thanks.
Eve.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:34 am

My daughter had a similar but not quite identical problem to you the car would misfire at odd times so she called the car skippy :D

So here goes it is an easy check and a not uncommon weakness in these cars...

standing at the front of the car with the bonnet up you look along the line of spark plugs until you get to the right hand plug (No 1) from there you look diagonally upwards and you will see a sensor with a plug attached will try and photograph later to day for you as camera batteries are charging up just now.

2) remove plug from sensor carefully and examine closely as the wires do become brittle and can snap causing an intermittent fault which may well be the problem.

Then get back to us with the results of your check.

As for mileage my 480 is a dailly driver and its no problem for the engine , My daugther drove a 480 as a dailly driver with 135000 miles on the clock again no problem so mileage and age is nothing to these little cars. But rust...... :cryhard:

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:36 pm

or check that the small rubber connection on the end of the inlet manifold nearest drivers front wheel is still connected , it runs up to the sensor at the base of the windscreen, on mine the air pipe fell off so the fuel mapping was all out as the ECU didn't know how much advance/retard to give the ignition etc

can't mind if also in same place with the 1700 as the 2 litre,
Alan