Re-threading temperature sender seat

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Re-threading temperature sender seat

Post by Martin Mc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Hello folks,

The sorry saga continues. Having taken out the (blue connector) temperature sender from the top front of the cylinder head, I now find that removing it appears to have stripped the threads in the head :cry: The 'OEM' replacement sourced from EvilBay doesn't fit (different thread pattern / diameter to the original, and the threads on the original are now flat as a pancake.

I was wondering if anyone else had run into this (or similar) problems with fittings into the cylinder head. I have a tap and die set lined up to try to rethread the thing, but a bit nervous about getting anything to fit thereafter.

Any ideas?

Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Re-threading temperature sender seat

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:21 pm

TBH you'd need to get a 'helicoil' inserted OR tap to a size big enough to make an adaptor if the threads stripped in the alloy :(

not sure if you could blank the original hole and find a 'different' location for the new sender, it needs to be somewhere that gets 'as hot' and that will not be easy . . . .

If stuck, drill & tap to suit an M12 bolt, drill a hole in the M12 and tap that to sender size?

not good whichever way :cryhard:

edit
had second thought, if the temp sensor is BSP then drill and tap to a BSP fitting size as you can get BSP to BSP adaptors for a few pence
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Re: Re-threading temperature sender seat

Post by Martin Mc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Hello Alan,

Many thanks for your cool and considered replies! I can see BSP adaptors available, as you say, for a few pence or so on eBay - so that would be the most likely way to go I think. I'll let you know how I get on..

Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)