Air pressure too high?

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WhiteWolf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Air pressure too high?

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:09 pm

I seem to have a problem with my Turbo... I have a split air intake pipe and decided to try and fix it... I managed to superglue where it was split... I thought perfect.. Attached the airflow metre and air filter... Cranked her up.. Let her warm up... I just wanted to see if my bodge had worked.. Decided to give it some revs.. On the 2nd Rev there was this almighty whoosh and then it cut out... I tried starting it and it was really struggling even with revs to idle..
I stripped it back down and found the pipe off the bottom of the recirculation valve had blown off.. It hadn't been tightened properly...
Apart from that the odd pipe gets blown off of certain things... I need to jubilee clip them up properly...

What concerns me the most is the chatter from the turbo.. Even though it sounds nice is it a sign I need the recirculation valve replacing with that updated Audi one..

The superglue didn't work either :roll:

When I pulled off the other day I floored it in first gear... When I let the Revs fall there was an almighty woosh...

I sense problems...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Air pressure too high?

Post by doingitsideways » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Mine chatters like mad all the time and I have running problems at light throttle.

I have come to the conclusion that my Recirc valve has jossed it, especially as I have a Robou ECU, as the raised boost tends to finish them off.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:38 pm

It is advised to replace it... £30-40 on eBay.. I think I'll go ahead and get one in the next few weeks... I've just put a Roboumod on mine as well... Took it out the other day around the block... It's scary :shock:
I shall certainly be using Eco mode on the Ecu or put the standard one in for winter :rofl:

I'm looking to opening it up properly next week :D

It seems to be running a lot better since tuning the air flow to 520ohms...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

Robou

Post by Robou » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Although I have often claimed, also in the manual, that a car should be in good condition before applying my mod because only then one will enjoy all the profits from it, there is some unexpected human feeling making me addressing the gentlemen posting above.

Adjusting the CO-pot to the advised value is only half the job, in order to get the RR feeling of driving 30 mph in fifth gear and slowly accelerating from there one should adjust from the advised value by quarter turns until everything goes smooth. Right before MOT turn the adjusting screw a few turns to the left, remember what you did and reverse the action afterwards.

You can not blame the mod for blown pipes. They must have been rotten before. The mod does not brake anything in good condition, it just makes defects more obvious.

Replacing the recirculation valve is not mandatory, the original will only give up a little sooner. It is not one of the best parts anyway. And indeed, if it malfunctions, mostly by not closing, it can louse up motor behaviour under any condition.

There is no need to do temporarely away with the mod because the car is in a lousy condition. If you are easy on the throttle it is gentler for the engine than the original ECU.

About a turbo making strange noise, have it run under the conditions it is designed for: A closed inlet system. Now it blows out in the almost open at unsane revs.

But to be true, I would never start a thread about my unability to replace pipes and tighten jubilee clips....
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Thank you for responding Robou...
There is some confusion though.. It might be how my original post is worded and if so apologise..

In no way am I blaming the mod for what has happened.. The problem was there before on the car.. It isn't even on the road yet as I am still fixing it up.. It has just passed its mot.

It was just a general question about the noise..

The split in my air pipe is fine 95% of the time.. If I open the hole the car stalls.. I know I need the pipe repaired..
I personally haven't touched the engine.. It's through testing now that things are happening.. Like I've realised a few pipes blew off because of them being loose..
Everything else is fine.. Idles perfect 99% of the time..

Like I said in a private message the car does seem to idle and run a lot better with the mod on..
I was trying to make a joke about taking the mod off in the winter because of how fast the car will be.. I know I can just be easier on the throttle...

There is no way I'm taking the mod off..

I don't have much ability car wise either.. Just read this forum to get through..

Hats off to people like yourself and rich though who have made these cars fun :D
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:39 pm

In no way was I insinuating that your mod was responsible for my failed Recirc valve, Robou.

I was more trying to say that the now increased boost levels only exacerbated what was an already worn part, and a rubbish one from new.

That's just what happens when modiying - when more power is produced, the weakest link in the chain is highlighted.

For every action, there is an equal or opposite reaction ;)
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!