95 Celebration Aircon dismal failure

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Rob Houston
480 Newbie

95 Celebration Aircon dismal failure

Post by Rob Houston » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Problem with the aircon -
1. Compressor working
2. VEM OK. (I serviced this last year after it failed miserably)
3. Cannot charge the system.
When I tried to charge the system, the compressor failed to lock on. At this point the remote charging system started to heat up! I checked the compressor with a shorting link & the clutch engaged after a few seconds but without apparently circulating anything round the system.

It is possible that the previous owner/s may have used some sort of sealant in the past. Has anybody managed to refit an aircon system or refurbished one?

I have read Glasgowjim's rip-it-out FAQ with avid interest! I have a 480 GT as a donor but the condensing radiator has a problem with the ally spacers - they are falling out with old age but even after 5 years there was still pressure in the system! I haven't got as far as ripping the evaporator and pipes off yet though.

If anybody has any pointer/suggestions I would be extremely grateful.

Rob H
The car in front is possibly going to be a C30 - and it's staying there!
Previous: 1994 480 ES, 1994 480 GT, 1994 Celebration, 1995 Celebration #286, Celebration 293. All passed on to the BIg Crusher!https://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature#

Rob Houston
480 Newbie

Re: 95 Celebration Aircon dismal failure

Post by Rob Houston » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Managed to sort the aircon. Complete purge & vacuum. The recovered fluid was minimal :? However, no leaks - vacuum level good, temperature at main vent - 9.5c. Outside airtemp 20c. Finally got a smile going :hopping:

Rob Houston
The car in front is possibly going to be a C30 - and it's staying there!
Previous: 1994 480 ES, 1994 480 GT, 1994 Celebration, 1995 Celebration #286, Celebration 293. All passed on to the BIg Crusher!https://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature#