Loss of pressure?

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Flying Dutchman
480 Newbie

Loss of pressure?

Post by Flying Dutchman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:26 pm

I wonder if the fact that I have to run my car on the starter several seconds before it ignites, can be caused by a pressure-loss in the fuel line?

I recently fixed a fuel leak (crack in the fuel pump fitting) and that made the car start better.
Better in the meaning that if I've parked for exampel 3hours it starts immidiately when I turn the key, but if parked over night, same issue. Before this fuel leak repair, I always had to run it those extra seconds..

Can this be casued by a worn check valve or something?

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Loss of pressure?

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:10 pm

I ALWAYS turn key to ign position, wait until the fuel pump noise stops then turn key to starter point.

This ensures that fuel line is pressurised and injectors get a decent shot instead of priming the system AND turning engine over, if not takes a wee bit longer to fire up.

this is same with TWO pumps (in this car) and two different cars, one a 1800 and one 2Litre
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Flying Dutchman
480 Newbie

Re: Loss of pressure?

Post by Flying Dutchman » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Good thinking. But my fuel pump doesn't start until the engine revs more than 45 rpm (1990 turbo) so in my case theres no point of waiting. I get the best starts after being parked a couple of hours. Over night starts and start after a short stop (warm engine) is the problem..