Foam in the engine bay

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Leesey
480 Newbie

Foam in the engine bay

Post by Leesey » Fri May 21, 2010 9:45 am

The foam stuff in the engine bay (keeps the engine warm) has come away from the bonnet and i was wondering whether to get rid of it, or to stick it back up, and if i stick it back up what do i stick it up with.
Last edited by Big Brother on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to correct forum

480s partner
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: Foam in the engine bay

Post by 480s partner » Fri May 21, 2010 12:39 pm

I wouldn't recommend getting rid of it. In the back of it there is an aluminium foil which picks up and discharges static build up from the bonnet via two earth wires on each side. If you do get rid of it it's likely you'll get zapped :lol: when you touch the bonnet inadvertently. Furthermore, it seems to have something to do with the radio reception, not sure though how it actually works. :dunno:

I believe the foam is not used to keep the engine warm, but was employed for its sound-deadning properties.

When mine started to hang I glued it back on with a very similar contact glue like the one originally used (a yellowish sticky stuff).

Leesey
480 Newbie

Post by Leesey » Sat May 22, 2010 4:46 pm

i was going to try no more nails. but i do not know if this is wise

mardell
480 Newbie

Post by mardell » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:20 pm

the bonnet is plastic ;) so def more sound deadening and bloody annoying when it breaks up as it gets sucked straight into the vents lol mount of times ive found black foam everywhere.
| 91' Red Volvo Turbo |
| 93' Black Volvo Turbo |

Raffadakis
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Raffadakis » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:34 pm

ahhhh this explains the black foam bits spread all over my carpets :lol: