stuttering engine at full throttle

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Williewammes
Knows where Volvo is from

stuttering engine at full throttle

Post by Williewammes » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:00 pm

Hey Guys,

Strange thing suddenly occured. When I'm at full throttle the engine starts to stutter. When I drive it calm, no problem.
Disconnected the knock sensor for a short test drive, but things only became worse. After refitting the plug the engine keeps on stuttering the same way as without the knock sensor.

Is this a typical problem with the vaccuum in the turbo system or can it be something else? I will check the hoses tommorow when it is light outside, but am wondering if anyone else has had something similar.

Hope to get some respons.
Greets,

Williewammes

Volvo 480 turbo Paris bleu metallic 1992.
Volvo 480 turbo Grey metallic 1987

Check: www.wdesignonline.tk

Brasco
480 Is my middle name

Post by Brasco » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Yeh, I had a loose clip on one of the hoses that cause the same sort of symptoms.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/myelan3.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400024rip-1.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/fc85e36c.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400044-1.jpg[/img]

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:29 pm

air leak mate

Williewammes

Post by Williewammes » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:20 am

Hey,

Found the problem. The turbopressure was too high, and the valve between the inlet and outlet of the turbo had blown. That plastic thing in the back of the compartment.
Now, the valve does pppsssshhht again :rofl:

But, new problem arived. Now the engine is stuttering when lifting the throttle. It's really anoying because it lookes like I cannot drive the car properly :wink:

Anyway, could this still be something with an air leak, or does this mean bad ignition, faulty idle valve or bad throttle housing?

[/quote]
Greets,

Williewammes

MartinP

Post by MartinP » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:34 am

Have you cleaned the idle valve recently? If not, I'd suggest you do it. It's very easy and it sure is noticable. Use a degreaser and soak the idle valve in it. Create a small "bath" where you place the idle valve in the degreaser and let it stay there for atleast one hour. Afterwards, everything should come off real easy so use a paintbrush to clean the "T" on the idle valve. It should come out all clean and shining, atleast that's what my did :D

PS: Gotta love your avatar :hopping:

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:47 pm

air leak
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Williewammes

Post by Williewammes » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi guys,

I have checked every possible hose I could find under the bonnet and found only one that was bad. It was the hose from the throttle valve to the thing attached to the idle valve. Went for a run, still the same problems. Now tried fitting my spare idle valve (while cleaning the other), still no results.

Also checked the spark plugs and the leads but that was all looking good.

It seems like the engine needs a vew seconds to return to steady idle and I think that this is causing it to stutter when lifting the gas. At low revs it seems to be the worst. High revs are a little better at least.

Well, I will visit the volvo dealer to get it tested and hope they can find it.

Thanks for the advice anyway.
Greets,

Williewammes

Williewammes

Post by Williewammes » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:33 pm

By the way, bout the avatar:

Hope to have my website ready soon. It will contain all kinds of drawings like the on I use as avatar. There are also normal drawings...

A friend of mine is making it and it only needs some html editing wich will be done by someone else.

The drawings can be ordered for a reasonable price. (480 club members will get a discount :wink: ) Also coffee cups, t-shirts and that kind of stuff will be available. And you can have your own car drawn in anyway you like, again for a reasonable price.

WIll post a message when all is ready :hopping:
Greets,

Williewammes