Weird noise

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

TLindley
Knows where Volvo is from

Weird noise

Post by TLindley » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:50 pm

When i start my car in the cold - for just a second when it fires up theres a sort of metallic grating noise. It goes instantly and i never hear it while driving. Also, when the engine is warm i never hear it on starting. I put this down to my starter motor being a bit old, but I thought i'd ask just to see if anyone knows what it is.

Another slight thing that has been bothering me- when I'm out driving at motorway speeds and i let my foot off the accelerator to slow right down (for example, coming off a motorway onto a slip road) the car gets a bit jolty. Nothing too intrusive, but i have to keep the revs fairly high in all the gears if i dont want to feel this. I put this down to slightly out of sync fueling, but again, i thought i'd ask.

Thanks

Bramdeman
480 Expert

Post by Bramdeman » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:56 pm

Grating noise would be your starter i think, some starters do it for years before they die some only weeks.

The jolting sounds like engine mounts but then again maybe not, my old turbo does this and i've replaced every single mount and its made no difference, never solved it.
'99 C70 2,3 T5 LPI Full option!
'98 V70 2.5Turbo LPI aircon ice etc etc <---Wrecked, she saved my life
'82 Porsche 928S 300HP 4,6V8 (scary)
'89 Red Turbo All Fixed up SOLD
'90 ES Lavender Metallic Automatic
'93 Two Tone Turbo!! Beauty! daily driver
'92 Red ES automatic
'88 340 1,7 Project car

TLindley

Post by TLindley » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:32 pm

I thought this could also be my dump valve leaking boost. One of the delights of living with the thing. If it gets worse ill replace it with a recirc.
Currently : No car :(

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:41 pm

Tom my jolting has finally been illeviated by a new exhaust.Check yours for even the tiniest of leaks,I did and it was!

Steve. :D
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

Williewammes

Post by Williewammes » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:47 am

The sound you are hearing during the startprocedure is the mechanism that should normally disengage the starter engine after releasing the key. As soon as the engine will run at a higher speed than the starter engine there is a second mechanism that will disengage the starter engine in case the first one does not work. In your case the first mechanism is not working proparly, but the second one does.

I had the same problem for about two months, but mine broke down yesterday. Tonight I will have to change the starter engine. If you're lucky it will remain intact for years.

TLindley

Post by TLindley » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:46 pm

Its stopped doing it now for some reason. It only did it when we had a few really cold nights back in January. If its warm, its fine.
Plus jolting has definately been fixed with exhaust and new recirc.
Currently : No car :(

Williewammes

Post by Williewammes » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:26 am

Last week I had time to take a look at the starter engine that broke down. Two of the magnets in the outer scale were detached from the outer scale and were stuck against the inner part. Took some time to take it apart, but the thing is definitely dead, no cure for that.

Anyway, the other one I had is still working properly, so no probs there.
Greets,

Williewammes

Volvo 480 turbo Paris bleu metallic 1992.
Volvo 480 turbo Grey metallic 1987

Check: www.wdesignonline.tk