over revving

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

oli
480 Newbie

over revving

Post by oli » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi - I have a 93 480 1.7l turbo - for a while its taken 2 or three minutes to warm up - during which time itll stall if the clutch is out - but once warm it ran perfectly. Last week it starterd taking alot longer to warm up, (up to 10 min) and now, even after driving for an hour, when the clutch is out or in neutral the engine has started surging between 1000 & 2000 revs. this has been happening for about a week, today the trip computer display kept cutting out and going blank & scrambling the display.

my Dad whose had 4 or 5 480s tells me that this could be all connected to the engine managemnet system & I would need to take it to a volvo dealer.

i know theyre unlikely to be much help - & if they are itll cost me!

Can anyone offer any advice as to what it could be?

Thanks,

Oli

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:51 pm

volvo dealer is the very very very last resort.

could be 2 separate things the info centre dying and the engine having problems.

on the assumption that the temp guage was correct running cold sounds like a jammed open thermostat.

the uneven revving/idling dont know but others can advise you on this try a search and if no luck then contact john turbo who is well up on this.

where in uk are you ?

oli
480 Newbie

Post by oli » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:32 pm

thanks for your reply.
- tried searching - theres alot of idling issues but none the same.
was thinking the idle contol valve but the issue seems too uniform - always the same rpm fluctuation and always the same time.

im in Bucks but just moved here & have no idea of reliable garages or dealers.

cheers

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:33 pm

pm john turbo and ask his advice.

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:53 pm

remove the idle valve and soak it in a plastic bag with cellouse thinners or carb cleaner. Shake it for a few mins and see how much crud comes out.

also check under the intercooler top pipes (Hard plastic from near rad) there are 2 wires with bullets on the end. If these are connected it will not idle correct.

(there more towards the alternator side of engine) black single wires with bullets.

Failing that it could bad engine temp sensor.

It will say cold on the info center for about 5mins always.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT